Thoughts about tank security and how to avoid sabotage from people who might have ill feelings toward you?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts about tank security and how to avoid sabotage from people who might have ill feelings toward you?
Two-factor authentication is really the only way to go for any kind of remote monitoring. Some apps like Mobius are only accessible via Bluetooth so it's a blessing-curse kind of thing.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short from an in-wall with locked sump room including a impervious to smashing viewing panel you should be alright. Weekend job for sure

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about at work? I wouldn't think this would be a problem at home unless you have an outdoor tank or pond. I worry about my pond sometimes. At work you could setup a camera if this were a concern.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can't recall hearing an issue like this in a private aquarium. However, this has actually been documented in a few cases in public aquariums and suspected in a few more instances. I also recall hearing some LFS have had this issue. The one public aquarium case I know about involved bleach added to a tank by a disgruntled employee. That said, it is pretty rare. Many public aquariums have open touch tanks, outdoor koi ponds, etc. and don't see any issues.

There is, however, sometimes misapplication of the risk: "All my fish died for no reason, therefore it must have been sabotage".

A bigger issue seems to be people wanting to increase their social media presence by trying stunts - jumping into Bass Pro Shop tanks, etc.

Jay

Jerrym21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard of this happening. . .
Ugly divorce with a vicious revenge seeking wife. I was told that she poured something in the talk, bleach or something similar. Killed every living organism in the reef.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably keep an eye on contractors/renovation people that were in my home if I don't know them and if I couldn't be there a camera would be handy for that.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bigger issue seems to be people wanting to increase their social media presence by trying stunts - jumping into Bass Pro Shop tanks, etc.
Future Darwin Award winners.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved all my ranks to the garage. All those family members in the house kept breathing and producing CO2! Carpet cleaners, candles, incense and who knows what else while I was at work! Not to mention all the dog and cat hair getting in the tank too!!
Tanks have never looked better after moving them away from those darn air breathers!!!!

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cameras...as already mentioned. But two with overlapping fields of view so you can't disable one without the other observing the act.

Secure lids and power outage alarm.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guns = American stereotype, Fish & Chips = British stereotype. I could probably add tea, lack of access to dentists or deep-fried Mars bars (although the latter is more Scottish and particularly tasty!)
Got it... I just didn't see where the British part came into play in the original comment... Unless the poster is from there. ???
ANYWHOO.... still cant figure out a way to comment on the actual thread subject. TBH, I thought the OP was a joke....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back