WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what people think of this?

Here is the link, scroll to 1:07:45

Jake Adam’s and Chris both claiming that dosing Iron will eliminate Dinos, everything I’ve read say the opposite that dosing iron fuels the growth.

Has anyone tried this?

I admit, I have not watched the video, nor have I looked into this topic to much of an extent. However, if I remember correctly, iron dosing helped @Tigahboy ‘s massive quantities of macroalgae outcompete the dinos.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this video, the argument (at 1hr08min) is that bacteria are in the tank waiting to get rid of the dinos, but that they need Fe before they can really get to work. There's no reason to believe that at all.

This anecdotal evidence comes much closer to being data...

I set up an experiment* and dosed experimental containers containing large cell amphidinium with either iron, silicon, or iodine. Silica, in the form of sodium silicate, seemed to have little effect on dinoflagellate density, but as suggested by @taricha , I noticed an increase in the density of various diatoms. Iodine does not seem to be a limited nutrient in my two month old saltwater samples, as dinoflagellate growth was similar for iodine-dosed vs control samples. Finally, iron supplementation (in the form of Sodium feredetate) was associated with a seemingly exponential increase in population density that peaked at day 6 following iron administration.

As mentioned above, the role of iron availability in dinoflagellate growth and signal transduction has been well documented in the setting of oceanic studies, however my observation was in line with my expectation that iron supplementation may promote dinoflagellate (or more precisely, large cell amphidinium) growth in typical home reef tank environments.

Take this series of observations with a grain of salt, but I think this is in line with some other hobbyist's observations that iron supplementation in the setting of dinoflagellates may promote their growth.

OP
OP
Andrews_aquarium

Andrews_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit, I have not watched the video, nor have I looked into this topic to much of an extent. However, if I remember correctly, iron dosing helped @Tigahboy ‘s massive quantities of macroalgae outcompete the dinos.

They also mentioned that they were running an algae turf scrubber and that it had sucked all Trace elements out of the water, thus adding the iron would boost the scrubber production and out compete the Dinos

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this video, the argument (at 1hr08min) is that bacteria are in the tank waiting to get rid of the dinos, but that they need Fe before they can really get to work. There's no reason to believe that at all.

This anecdotal evidence comes much closer to being data...
I thought depleted PO4 was the cause of dinoflagellates?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what people think of this?

Here is the link, scroll to 1:07:45

Jake Adam’s and Chris both claiming that dosing Iron will eliminate Dinos, everything I’ve read say the opposite that dosing iron fuels the growth.

Has anyone tried this?

Some employees at World Wide Corals say dosing iron will take down dinos. Never tried it on my end.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are reports popping up all over the Facebook groups about Iron dosing knocking back dinos. The one piece of the puzzle I would like to see from these reports is what strain and was this confirmed with picture or video evidence from a microscope.

Lots can be said about Jake and ReefBuilders but there is no denying his skill level and he usually ends up being right on quite a few things.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought depleted PO4 was the cause of dinoflagellates?
heh. Well it's the (most common) "cause", and actually not all ways of lowering PO4 seem equally likely to end in dinos. GFO super-likely, Carbon dosing less likely, algae scrubber unlikely. Anecdotally, of course.

also, Chemi-clean has a fairly high incidence of "causing" dinos too. But that has nothing to do with helping dinos. it's just that the environment was already favoring another dominating nuisance and then you kill it en masse, and the dinos that were already there hiding in the cyano fill in the niche.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heh. Well it's the (most common) "cause", and actually not all ways of lowering PO4 seem equally likely to end in dinos. GFO super-likely, Carbon dosing less likely, algae scrubber unlikely. Anecdotally, of course.

also, Chemi-clean has a fairly high incidence of "causing" dinos too. But that has nothing to do with helping dinos. it's just that the environment was already favoring another dominating nuisance and then you kill it en masse, and the dinos that were already there hiding in the cyano fill in the niche.
I actually like the iron dosing idea only because trace element dosing (Chaeto Gro) my fish-snail system :) seemed coincide with a shift in what was growing on aquarium surfaces. I with add this idea to a list of things to nudge biofilm species succession.

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread, but I just listened to that episode of Reefbum today! And the iron dosing/Dinos conversation jumped out at me as well (and lead me here). Any updates from people trying iron dosing?

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread, but I just listened to that episode of Reefbum today! And the iron dosing/Dinos conversation jumped out at me as well (and lead me here). Any updates from people trying iron dosing?
Curious as well. I'm currently battling LCA - and got my ICP test back today....and my Iron was WAY low.

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so massive bump on this thread. I have been dosing bacteria, running sediment filters, and manual removal with no impact. This week I have a bottle of iron from two little fishies coming in. I plan to begin increasing my temperature and begin dosing iron and see if what they are saying is actually true and works. I will out an update in this thread if it succeeds

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's a seven hundred page thread in the nuisance algae forum, dinos sticky at the top, who would love to try this for sure. we could get a LOT of tests on this method if someone posts there. those guys have been searching for repeated dinos control for the last 4 years.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try it and see how it works.....but don't do anything else. That way we may actually have evidence instead of anecdotal reports. Personally, I'm very pessimistic that this will do anything positive and likely will have just the opposite effect.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back