Thoughts on 224 lighting

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am building a ~224 gallon (72x30x24) I have just purchased 2 X OR3 150 Blue Plus. I want to add Kessil a360x w/ controller to the setup. I was thinking 6 Kessils. Based off BRS Kessil video they used 4 over a 120. I am not worried about covering the entire 30" wide because its 3/4" acrylic (sides), 1/2" top/bottom. This makes the internal dimensions actually 70.5x28.5x23. I also set up the rocks to have a 4 inch "race track" (for the fish to swim) around the rocks. This would make the primary of the coral within 20" wide. Was planing on lower light LPS/Zoa's in the sand toward the edges. I will rent or buy a par meter afterwards to confirm par readings.

Thoughts 6 Kessils or is that overkill?

Thanks,

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am building a ~224 gallon (72x30x24) I have just purchased 2 X OR3 150 Blue Plus. I want to add Kessil a360x w/ controller to the setup. I was thinking 6 Kessils. Based off BRS Kessil video they used 4 over a 120. I am not worried about covering the entire 30" wide because its 3/4" acrylic (sides), 1/2" top/bottom. This makes the internal dimensions actually 70.5x28.5x23. I also set up the rocks to have a 4 inch "race track" (for the fish to swim) around the rocks. This would make the primary of the coral within 20" wide. Was planing on lower light LPS/Zoa's in the sand toward the edges. I will rent or buy a par meter afterwards to confirm par readings.

Thoughts 6 Kessils or is that overkill?

Thanks,
IMO... I think it might be overkill. If it were me I would install the OR3, do your PARS and go from there. Many more folks on here with much more experience than me though, hopefully they can chime in! GREAT LIGHTS BTW!!!

OP
OP
MGarrison

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO... I think it might be overkill. If it were me I would install the OR3, do your PARS and go from there. Many more folks on here with much more experience than me though, hopefully they can chime in! GREAT LIGHTS BTW!!!
Thanks for the reply Susan. Two OR3 will definitely not enough par for this sized tank. Maybe I will go with the two OR3 and 4 Kessils to start and then add from there. Unless someone with more experience can chime in.

Thanks,

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three on my six foot tank which I found is not enough. I would recommend having five.

OP
OP
MGarrison

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three on my six foot tank which I found is not enough. I would recommend having five.
Thanks for the reply Fishnut. Do you think that 6 would be overkill? again considering BRS tested 4 over a 48"x24"x24" tank.
My thought is 6 would give more even spread and I could always run them at a lower percentage if required.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 158 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back