Thoughts on Hawaii Ban

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a Chinese hobbyist (Chinese-Canadian actually) I would hate it if Chinese firms get hold of scientific data and start reverse engineering super fish to dominate and kill the fish of the free world lololololol.

So yeah this sucks and let’s hope our Captive Breeding efforts can catch up.

Evieeeeee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when the rest of the world, does what they do....how does the US's changes....change anything? Not trying to argue...just clue me in. because, if China/Japan etc...throws their stuff in the ocean, and we dont... it doesnt change anything, only kills the small businesses, not contributing to the mess.
Ah yes the small businesses that make a ton of pollution and dump it into the ocean to make a meaningful difference... who again?

Let's be real the ones that do the vast majority of the pollution and dumping are no mom and pop businesses that need to be protected. And NOT TO MENTION, if they are dumping chemicals into the ocean it doesn't matter if it's a small business, they deserve to be fined heavily to discourage it not encouraged?

Also, why can't we just be better people that cares for our oceans and not pollute the **** out of it just because another country is also doing something bad? Are we really doing the "mom but they are doing it too" thing when our Oceans are already in a bad state? Lead by a better example, if we base our actions off the bad examples who is that even supposed to help?

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes the small businesses that make a ton of pollution and dump it into the ocean to make a meaningful difference... who again?

Let's be real the ones that do the vast majority of the pollution and dumping are no mom and pop businesses that need to be protected. And NOT TO MENTION, if they are dumping chemicals into the ocean it doesn't matter if it's a small business, they deserve to be fined heavily to discourage it not encouraged?

Also, why can't we just be better people that cares for our oceans and not pollute the **** out of it just because another country is also doing something bad? Are we really doing the "mom but they are doing it too" thing when our Oceans are already in a bad state? Lead by a better example, if we base our actions off the bad examples who is that even supposed to help?
well. I can tell you that a small business man in a po dunk little town, isnt polluting the ocean....or the air, yet is getting taxed beyond belief, for the "new green deal" so no...a mom and pop store IS getting it in the shorts. and leading by example? seriously. I'd compare that to a 700 gallon reef, and doing a 5 gallon bucket water change twice a month.. come on

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure i read that people with liscenses can still catch fish and that they had issued 3000 of them prior. So i doubt well see a increase in price anytime soon.

Are blue tang caught in hawaii ? I mean prices are already higher thanks to Covid-19.

Saw a blue tang a good 4 inchs long at petco yesturday for 109$ thinking.. maybe i should go grab him before someone else does. I dont see them that size usually in petcos or anywhere else. Usually theyre like 1 inch too small

Blue Tang are not Hawaii.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for correcting me. But it's not unlikely that within the next 10 years that we make enough discoveries to switch to artificial saltwater, even if these kinds of fish are a lot harder to raise. At least that's my hope
Only time will tell. I am all for captive breeding. Healthier specimens at cheaper prices. It will happen, but the demand needs to be there. This ban will help. That is my humble opinion.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well. I can tell you that a small business man in a po dunk little town, isnt polluting the ocean....or the air, yet is getting taxed beyond belief, for the "new green deal" so no...a mom and pop store IS getting it in the shorts. and leading by example? seriously. I'd compare that to a 700 gallon reef, and doing a 5 gallon bucket water change twice a month.. come on
I live and work in a small town for a very small company in Montana. We pollute the heck out of the rivers and oceans. We are a small hotel and the people visiting here come from all over the world via planes and cars. All of the items we serve and clean with do the same thing. The owners do pay a lot in taxes, but they also make a very comfortable living. I am working with them to be a greener company and they are happy to do it. Some people care about others and understand that paying taxes is not a problem. The problem is how are that tax money being used.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live and work in a small town for a very small company in Montana. We pollute the heck out of the rivers and oceans. We are a small hotel and the people visiting here come from all over the world via planes and cars. All of the items we serve and clean with do the same thing. The owners do pay a lot in taxes, but they also make a very comfortable living. I am working with them to be a greener company and they are happy to do it. Some people care about others and understand that paying taxes is not a problem. The problem is how are that tax money being used.
come to Wilson Creek Wa. probably 300 people, IF your lucky. My dads a small town business man. machine shop tell me how the "green new deal" is good for him. btw.............no where NEAR a river, creek, or lake. just sayin

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when the rest of the world, does what they do....how does the US's changes....change anything? Not trying to argue...just clue me in. because, if China/Japan etc...throws their stuff in the ocean, and we dont... it doesnt change anything, only kills the small businesses, not contributing to the mess.
The way to do it is by using Tariffs and signing trade agreements. NAFTA for example requires a certain minimum wage to not have to pay the tariffs. They also have to have certain environmental standards to qualify. China and India are huge polluters. The US needs to charge higher tarrifs and put sanctions on them to make them clean up. By joining agreements with other large countries, we can all do it together. This will force them to clean up their act.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
come to Wilson Creek Wa. probably 300 people, IF your lucky. My dads a small town business man. machine shop tell me how the "green new deal" is good for him. btw.............no where NEAR a river, creek, or lake. just sayin
"The Green New Deal" is not a law and has zero affect on anything. It is something backed by a few people. The leader of that party does not support it, nor does he endorse it. In other words, you pay zero in taxes for it. And you most likely never will.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The Green New Deal" is not a law and has zero affect on anything. It is something backed by a few people. The leader of that party does not support it, nor does he endorse it. In other words, you pay zero in taxes for it. And you most likely never will.
I respectfully, disagree. as do 75 Million other people. :cool:
but, it's ok to disagree

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respectfully, disagree. as do 75 Million other people. :cool:
but, it's ok to disagree
There is nothing to disagree on. Fact is that the New Green Deal is not a law. It's not even up for consideration to become law. Disagreeing with it a fact does not make a lie a fact, but hey, what do I know.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing to disagree on. Fact is that the New Green Deal is not a law. It's not even up for consideration to become law. Disagreeing with it a fact does not make a lie a fact, but hey, what do I know.
right. they're just fining the heck out of people for no reason. LOL got it

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right. they're just fining the heck out of people for no reason. LOL got it
but, as long as people are ok with it...that's all that matters. I just want to make sure my fish have the best home. this isnt facebook, and I am over this. best of reefing, my friend. :)

Justin_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all know the impact of the aquarium trade on reefs is not significant compared to some of the other pressures it faces but - it's just a 'hobby'.

Personally, I cringe at the idea of keeping live animals captive and calling it a 'hobby'. I can only imagine how that sounds to outsiders.

I wish more was done to solve the real issues but at the same time, I can't really feel too upset about any conservation. Maybe just a little disappointed. But it feels fair enough that if this is what Hawaii wants to do, they should do it.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If x=total pollution from the US and y=total pollution for the rest of the world, then the total pollution to the entire world is reduced when x is smaller. It’s like asking what’s more? A) more or B) less.

Of course, it’s more complex than this. The US has a lot of allies that are also wanting to reduce pollution, so it’s not completely on us and that lowers the y component as well. Then there’s sanctions and such that others have mentioned that can further reduce y. I’m old enough to remember that the US can have a positive influence around the world.

Also mentioned is that the green new deal is not the law of the land. No one is currently affected by it. No need to even mention it.

On topic, I’m going to let Hawaii do it’s thing. I’ve never faced worse, but I think I’m up to the challenge.

LittleFidel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Zebrasoma, LFS will start importing more Purple and Scopas Tangs, eventually (I hope) CB Yellow Tangs will become like our Clownfish. And eventually, I hope more and more varieties of Tangs and other fish will come in CB.
I agree that aquaculture will lead to more widespread access to different species. Recall that in the 1970s, clownfish were considered almost impossible to culture, and now they make up energy half of all marine livestock trade.

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The government is the only entity that has enough power to protect the environment. That's not going to change. Also, saying "just look at the VA". Also, you can't just say "look at the VA" to dismiss arguments revolving around government regulation. They're not the same.
I sure can and as a matter of fact, I did. If you want to live in a fantasy land where “government knows best”, be my guest. Government has failed to regulate many things, time and time again. I dont have to argue with you, you can open a history book.

and it’s not even about the fish. It’s about the people who lost part of their livelihood at the smack of a gavel. This is no different than people who have never farmed passing laws and regulations for agriculture.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you guys think this Hawaii fish ban is the beginning of the end to the reef hobby? Will more places follow along? Will most fish be captive bread and will prices be so outrageous that it will make the hobby undesirable? I feel bad for all these companies out there. I know me for one is definitely going to hold off on expensive reef equipment purchases for the foreseeable future, like controllers , testers , etc etc .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back