Thoughts on this idea for drain plumbing?

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning my tank upgrade. I want to avoid an internal overflow box for various reasons. I need the tank to sit as flush as possible to the wall so external overflows are not optimal either.
Thinking of running the drain (and return) plumbing directly through the back of the tank, through the wall, to the sump which will be in an unfinished basement area behind the wall.
Would this elongated Durso style drain work? How loud do you think it would be with longer horizontal section running through the wall?
Any other ideas?
Thanks!

Tank drain plumbing.png

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning my tank upgrade. I want to avoid an internal overflow box for various reasons. I need the tank to sit as flush as possible to the wall so external overflows are not optimal either.
Thinking of running the drain (and return) plumbing directly through the back of the tank, through the wall, to the sump which will be in an unfinished basement area behind the wall.
Would this elongated Durso style drain work? How loud do you think it would be with longer horizontal section running through the wall?
Any other ideas?
Thanks!

Tank drain plumbing.png
This is how my LFS did one of there main displays when you walk in. Wanted the tank right up against a wall so they ran all the plumbing in the wall so tank would sit flush.

Couldnt really tell you about the noise since my only experience with this is at a LFS.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the noise but having a single overflow can be a huge problem if it gets plugged up and you don’t have a backup drain to prevent a flood.

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the noise but having a single overflow can be a huge problem if it gets plugged up and you don’t have a backup drain to prevent a flood.
I asked my LFS about an emergency drain. The had the reef octo return that auto shuts off if water gets to low and drilled the tank low enough that it could hold water from the sump. They couldn't add an ato because of this but monitor salinity with Neptune and manually top off.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! I would have two of these, one on each back corner for that reason.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was about to start a thread asking about the necessity of an overflow, but saw this.

Did you end up following through? What were your results?

I am considering coming up through the bottom straight up with a couple of drain pipes with similar setups. And probably an emergency drain that stays above the water line for just in case

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was about to start a thread asking about the necessity of an overflow, but saw this.

Did you end up following through? What were your results?

I am considering coming up through the bottom straight up with a couple of drain pipes with similar setups. And probably an emergency drain that stays above the water line for just in case
Not yet. I'm still looking for my next tank.

Back