Thoughts or advice for a newbie to LPS

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I’ve recently picked up an alveopora and a hammer and I’m nervous to be completely honest. IMO they look ok for now.I got them yesterday and just wanted to know what you guys thought about them and also if you would mind sharing any tips it would be amazing

Attachments

• IMG_2631.MOV
    21.3 MB

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Hey guys so I’ve recently picked up an alveopora and a hammer and I’m nervous to be completely honest. IMO they look ok for now.I got them yesterday and just wanted to know what you guys thought about them and also if you would mind sharing any tips it would be amazing
They look healthy how new is your tank? Any wave makers?

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look healthy how new is your tank? Any wave makers?
My tank just turned 8 months today so I’m kinda proud of myself in a way after battling the uglies for a while. It’s a 10 gal so I’m scared of getting wave makers Incase they are too strong . (But no there are no wave makers so I put them as close to filter output as possible)

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
My tank just turned 8 months today so I’m kinda proud of myself in a way after battling the uglies for a while. It’s a 10 gal so I’m scared of getting wave makers Incase they are too strong . (But no there are no wave makers so I put them as close to filter output as possible)
awesome!!! The uglies suck. Just keep up with water changes you should be okay do you have a full tank shot?

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s one also do they look like they need more flow of could they benefit from it? I’m willing to spend the money but I’m afraid it would be overkill with the wave maker. Thoughts?

Attachments

• E7191E77-59E6-4BF3-B2D0-1595CE5F6B8D.jpeg
    E7191E77-59E6-4BF3-B2D0-1595CE5F6B8D.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 54

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Here’s one also do they look like they need more flow of could they benefit from it? I’m willing to spend the money but I’m afraid it would be overkill with the wave maker. Thoughts?
You can probably get 2 nano wave makers maybe some one else has a better idea

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Jebao ow-10 would work well.
The controller allows for adjustment of speed and mode.
Thanks also are you sure that a jebao would work well? I don’t want to really want to take them off the stand since they are just beginning to adjust to the light and I’m scared the flow would be too strong.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a nero 3 and run it at low speed. Could place it behind that larger rock to deflect the flow and help keep detritus off the rocks in addition to creating flow :thinking-face:
A Nero is a little out of my budget but thanks for the advice

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one has nice gentle flow. I run one in my fuge. I would definatly recommend some type of flow passing over the rocks besides just the return. JMO
Screenshot_20230409_195927_Chrome.jpg
Is there any chance you could send a short video? I’ve purchased a 475 gph before but it was really strong on my 10 gallon and was starting to stir some sand around. A video for reference would help thx

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks also are you sure that a jebao would work well? I don’t want to really want to take them off the stand since they are just beginning to adjust to the light and I’m scared the flow would be too strong.
An ow-10 can be dialed down to work in that tank. Put it on the back wall in wave 1 mode and keep the power at 1 and go from their. This will move water but not the sand if pointed towards the surface. Wave mode goes on/off every second. You can adjust the time faster or slower too.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any chance you could send a short video? I’ve purchased a 475 gph before but it was really strong on my 10 gallon and was starting to stir some sand around. A video for reference would help thx
Sorry mine is in the sump in a chamber with a bunch of rock rubble and chaeto so really can't see anything.

Fort Salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need some current in there for the corals to be healthy. I think the Jebao and the Tunze both look like good options. You can direct the flow more towards to surface so that it is not too direct on the corals. I imagine that you will have to move them off that rack eventually, so why not sooner than later?

FS

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ow-10 can be dialed down to work in that tank. Put it on the back wall in wave 1 mode and keep the power at 1 and go from their. This will move water but not the sand if pointed towards the surface. Wave mode goes on/off every second. You can adjust the time faster or slower too.
Thanks I’ll be sure to buy one and send a pic once it’s in so I can get advice on coral placement too lol

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need some current in there for the corals to be healthy. I think the Jebao and the Tunze both look like good options. You can direct the flow more towards to surface so that it is not too direct on the corals. I imagine that you will have to move them off that rack eventually, so why not sooner than later?

FS
Yeah your right I was just worried the flow could be a little too strong

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back