0   0   0
Number 1
image.jpg

Number 2

image.jpg

Number 3
image.jpg

Hi All,
I have there banggai cardinals in my tank and I am trying to determine the sex of them. Let me know what you think of these pictures. I'm trying to figure out which one to give away. I'd love to have a male and female.
David

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just guessing mind you.... but 1 and 3 are males and 2 is a female. That's a total guess based on the dorsal fin length. Id say the smarter way is to leave them together until two pair up, then give the third away before he gets killed by the other two.

OP
OP
Davehla

Davehla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info Doc! Thanks for your replies!

I feel like to of them have paired already, I just wanted to make sure I didn't give the wrong ams ex away to a friend. The two that are paired stay on one side of the tank and the other one is always on the other side.

Hopefully one day I can breed the pair. I know it is a pain, but must be soo rewarding once you figure out how to do it correctly!

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome! melypr1985 was also going off of some other good info that is out there. Another thing that I read along with what she was saying about the dorsal fin length is the shape of the males mouth, kind of like a bulldog. I thought since you had 3 of them in your tank already it would be a good opportunity to feed them like the article said and see if you could distinguish the vents. If you do, post and lest us know. I'm glad two of them seem to be pairing up for you! Breeding would be very rewarding! Good luck!!!

FYI... the dr in my name is for my husband & my first intitials. I'm just dr mom!!!;)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back