Throwing coral away....say it isn't so!

Have you ever had to throw away coral clippings? Read the thread for more.

• Yes

Votes: 337 67.7%
  • No

Votes: 161 32.3%

• Total voters

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t had to. If anyone ever wants to get rid of some in Madison/Milwaukee area, I would always be willing to take some :)

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get this and I have done it too. If you think about it, though, would you throw away an anemone split? Would you buy a Tang for your Nuvo 20 and throw it away when it got too big? Isn’t buying a fast growing Montipora capricornis for a nano as irresponsible as adding a Hippo Tang? Corals are carnivorous animals, yet we treat them like plants. Not judging, not saying anything is wrong, just playing devil’s advocate.

Devil's Advocate again. Would you give away big colonies of ugly green palythoa, which could make the recipient sick of not handled correctly? My LFS's display tank and some of it's holding tanks are infested with the stuff, if they ever do a major cleaning they may have issues.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just now making my first attempt at selling corals for cheap locally. I thought about giving the stuff away but then I looked into the costs I have put into it. In the past month I have spent well over $100 on "stuff" just to try and make sure I can frag some coral and give it to fellow reefers. Could I eat the cost on this? Sure. Would I rather try to make this more sustainable by selling at a low cost. You bet. I'd love to do trades, but I don't have any more room for stuff. If I add any more coral I'm going to have to remove one I already have. And my tank is only a little over a year old. I can't imagine how much coral someone with a 3 year old tank must have to pull from their systems.

I'd much rather bring stuff to my LFS in exchange for a credit, but they don't allow for that anymore. I think they had some bad experiences with stuff brought in. If I can sell it and not lose money on the cost of supplies, I'll keep doing it for as cheaply as I can. Otherwise I'm just going to throw away the zoa's and save the SPS skeletons for when I need to switch to a calcium reactor.

Last edited:

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I have thrown frogspawn heads , pulseing Xena , anemones .

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I lived near some of you. You don't really find this in Oklahoma. There are some of us that are still learning to just make it grow, much less have excess to trim back. I know I would send a Styrofoam shipping container and postage but I get the time it takes just to pack it all up and take it to the post office.

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I lived near some of you. You don't really find this in Oklahoma. There are some of us that are still learning to just make it grow, much less have excess to trim back. I know I would send a Styrofoam shipping container and postage but I get the time it takes just to pack it all up and take it to the post office.

Brad Shook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here I throw frags out all the time. I've tried selling and giving them away but people in my area are weird and i somehow end up the bad guy. Maybe if i delivered, acclimated, and did water changes for them.....

Sorry to say it's just not worth my time anymore to try and give them away anymore.

Daschmidt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry but it will sell easy on eBay charge fair shipping and cheap price and it will go quick

aquariumcarecenter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Email ACC (aquarium care center) acclive@aquariumcarecenter. We have a program called the trading post. We buy corals for credit . If you can get to our store bring it down and grab some new goodies . If you are really willing we could also arrange to have shipping boxes etc sent so you can ship to us . Please call and DONT THROW OUT YOUR CORALS

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree makes me laugh when he does this. He walks into a room crowded with people pulls the pin on a grenade then watches the chaos that ensues. I think the freebie forum is great. Seeing I live close to the ocean, what's the chance for survival to rehome back to were it came? They stock ponds, why not the ocean?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A twist on this subject, I text a reefer I know in another town, set up a meet day and drop off coral, (fish and anemones once), I figure it’s a reefer discount, give them to someone who has space or knows others that can house them.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A twist on this subject, I text a reefer I know in another town, set up a meet day and drop off coral, (fish and anemones once), I figure it’s a reefer discount, give them to someone who has space or knows others that can house them.

Also look it as a disaster recovery plan. You spread your stock into multiple places and it is a contingency plan in case of a crash you can always restock your tank from what was given away.

Sethdarkus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thrown away plenty of LPS, and softie clippings. My LFS is a 2 and a 1/2 hour drive, and they won't take anything in on trade. I have no reef club close by, and no one around me is a reefer. There are a few FOWLR tanks around, but they do not want to get into corals.

I've thrown away so many clippings and dead skeletons(when I first started out) in the woods next to my house, in a 1000 years scientists will think this part of upstate NY was once covered in a dense reef. lol
I’m actually in upstate ny lol. Anywhere near Norwich or oneonta?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually in upstate ny lol. Anywhere near Norwich or oneonta?
I'm in Old Forge. Your just a bit south of me. lol I frequent ABC reefs in Syracuse, and my favorite in the area are ARC and Caribbean Forest. One of these days I'll make it up to Green Mountain Corals in VT(it's actually closer then ARC). Went there one time when they were supposed to be open, but they were not.

Currently have nothing as far as clipping because I'm recovering from a year old tank crash(everything is just becoming colonies again, and not tiny frags). If you had caught me a year ago.........GSP, Birdsnest, Monti caps, Bi color hammers, frogspawn, octospawn, Rainbow BTA's by the handful. Have a few LPS now, but trying more of the SPS game now.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back