Throwing in the towel?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I arrived home from work yesterday the smell hit me just as soon as I walked in the door. It was the unmistakable smell of corals and it was very strong. As I walked into the room where the tanks were the smells even stronger and I knew something bad was awaiting. Turn the lights on to the tank and there was slime everywhere. The SPS were all pale and looking very rough. Never micro brittle stars and bristle worms littered all throughout the tank. Once the fish came out of hiding their swimming on their side upside down floating around in the current not knowing which end Was up. So of course at this point I have no clue where to start where to go all I could do was stare. I had all I can take out of this tank and I don't even know if I want to continue in the hobby anymore.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I arrived home from work yesterday the smell hit me just as soon as I walked in the door. It was the unmistakable smell of corals and it was very strong. As I walked into the room where the tanks were the smells even stronger and I knew something bad was awaiting. Turn the lights on to the tank and there was slime everywhere. The SPS were all pale and looking very rough. Never micro brittle stars and bristle worms littered all throughout the tank. Once the fish came out of hiding their swimming on their side upside down floating around in the current not knowing which end Was up. So of course at this point I have no clue where to start where to go all I could do was stare. I had all I can take out of this tank and I don't even know if I want to continue in the hobby anymore.
Oh no you don't give up!
Find the cause and correct it!
Here is a virtual hug and support :)

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear this Pete! I hope after you think it over you decide to stay. I have come close to hanging it up a few times but I'm glad I didn't. Best of luck man!

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there. Trust me, if you are in this hobby long enough, we all suffer catastrophe. But we are reefers! We are persistent and pig-headed! We prevail where any normal or smart human would have given up!

Take it as an opportunity to re-vamp and improve your system. Increase the safeguards and redundancies. Make it a challenge that this will never happen to you again.

Good luck!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost gave up when I lost a pane seal at the bottom.
I was close happened last December.
Water everywhere, fish has 2 inches to swim in. Corals exposed.
I re sealed the tank after thinking long and hard about it.
I came back with a vengeance !

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Hope you can make a good save, don't leave the hobby. To many getting out as is. Your pretty influential and helpful in the forums, hate to see you go. I'm sure r2r community would step up to help you out. Hit me up when I'm get things fixed I'll get you some frags.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't throw in the towel you'll miss it. I'm also glad I'm back after leaving for health issues. I regretted it almost immediately and have been happier now then without a reef. Problems will come and go. Don't let a problem dictate your leaving the hobby.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang bro! This sucks! So sorry to find out you're having to go through this. As others have stated, I hope you'll stay in and overcome this hurdle. I know most of us have experienced days when we want to call it quits (and usually it is due to an issue such as this), but, man, we love having you here as a part of our community. You add a lot to R2R, and I know you can bounce back from this! So...as others have said, I would hate to see you leave the hobby and R2R. Let us know if we can help in any way. We're here to help if at all possible.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this Pete. Hopefully you'll figure out the issue and come to a quick resolution. Hang in there and good luck.

OP
OP
Pete polyp

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what the problem was this time and it's my fault.... kalk overdose. This is the 4th time this tank has crashed in under 2 years. I just don't think I can take coming home to a tank mostly dead again. I don't know where I'm going yet with it. At the moment I'm trying to bring this ammonia level of 2.5 down. Mixing water now and dosing prime. All of the fish except the black cap basslet is out and about in the tank at the moment. There's a few dead snails I'm fixing to dig out and try to Siphon as many of the thousands of micro brittle stars and bristleworms piled up everywhere. To top everything off I had a shipment of fish come in today and the entire box was doa. That is actually a relief because I was scrambling on what to do with all of them. I have 3 options in considering.... a getting out of the hobby sale, waiting it out or draining the tank and rebooting. I'm pretty sure the rock in the tank is completely dead from the massive numbers of dead critters everywhere. Although I have seen a couple chitons around still. There's no sign of pods, bristleworms, micro snails (or whatever they're called) and I think I saw a couple gelatinous blobs that use to be large chitons (2"+). At the moment I'm just going through the common protocol to try and salvage what I can.

OP
OP
Pete polyp

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I do appreciate all the support you guys. I apologize if I'm a little bummed at the moment.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back