Throwing in the towel?

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean. I'm dealing with some gha and I keep thinking that I'm getting it under control, but it still persists. Sorry about the loss of your frags. I'm glad that it's improving.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pete it's completely understandable why your bummed. I think any of us would be bummed. Loosing anything is a bummer and even more if it's pride and joy or you consider everything in the tank as pets ( which many of us do) I haven't had a big of crash as that but I did loose ten fish in a fresh water tank overnight due to my listening to my stepdaughter ******** about water flow noise. But even loosing one fish can be a bummer and as I'm going to salt (very very slowly) from fresh I know it will be a major challenge to me but I won't be ready for a crash and will get bummed out. Hold your head up and keep trucking I have read many of your post and learned a lot from you. So I hope knowing that of how much you helped will keep you going.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef tank crashes are the best example of murphy's law (everything that can go wrong will go wrong). When there is a crash in a reef tank, its going to be a major problem, and your wallet will be crying itself to sleep tonight. So sorry for you though, I really hope it all gets better.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't give up Pete. tank looks great, add corals one at a time for the first few months and go from there

OP
OP
Pete polyp

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not just the last crash. It's the fact that this tank had refused to work since day 1. Just when I think I have it figured out BAM! something else crazy happens.

OP
OP
Pete polyp

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dreaming of willing the way for a baseball bat to find the side of this tank haha. In all seriousness it has gotten somewhat better I guess. It still has a long ways to go but it will eventually get to average

OP
OP
Pete polyp

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean. I'm dealing with some gha and I keep thinking that I'm getting it under control, but it still persists. Sorry about the loss of your frags. I'm glad that it's improving.
Knowing the age of your tank I'm gonna say it's in the usual stage where some gha pops up. Get some black trochus snails and Mexican red leg hermits. Cyano will probably show up soon

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing the age of your tank I'm gonna say it's in the usual stage where some gha pops up. Get some black trochus snails and Mexican red leg hermits. Cyano will probably show up soon
Thanks Pete! So far the only place I've seen Cyano is in the return section of my sump, so I'm hoping! The GHA exploded when I overdosed nitrates and threw everything out of wack! Dumb me!!! I have Astrea, Cerith, Nerite and Trochus snails, but I haven't see black ones, I'm also not familiar with the Mexican red leg hermits. I also have a Scarlett legged hermit and some white banded hermits that came with my IPSF Reef Pack. Do you know where I can get the Black Trochus and hermits? Thank you!

OP
OP
Pete polyp

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had gotten some black trochus from bluezooaquatics before and from some lfs before I always buy them if I find them in a store. I guess some call them banded trochus. I just bought about 50 "banded trochus" from live aquaria and they aren't the right ones. They look like astrea snails but the foot is black and they have these little hairs that stick out of the foot. The hermits are a pretty common find and should be just about anywhere. Live aquaria is calling them dwarf red tip hermits

IMG_4826_small.jpg

cloud-image.jpeg

img-38.jpeg

OP
OP
Pete polyp

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they're reef safe and more docile than blue legs. They do a better job at eating hair algae and will eat cyano once they find it as a food source.

OP
OP
Pete polyp

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys aren't understanding something here. There are no basics when it comes to this tank because it's completely backwards to what is the norm. I wish I had the usual problems here but they are completely bizarre and unique sometimes. The usual issues and solutions aren't happening or helpful here. After 14 years in the hobby this tank has been a total challenge and opened a whole new world to me. I wish it was the usual issues like gha or high nitrate... I can fix those with ease.

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was only implying tank liverock sand fuge skimmer and chaeto the rest will cure itself.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back