Tidal Gardens Aquascape

Glue Masters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has aquasculpture's for sale. Based on the look this is the method they are using. They are selling their pieces for $100 plus depending on size.
Interesting segway into unique service/product line. Each one will be a standalone art piece, also opportunities for custom work. Love it.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I did a few rocks. This methods is great. Easy to do. Fast and strong.

I first broke up my rocks that were just huge. Then I cleaned them of any skeletons (mostly the dreaded snail homes). Then made a sandbox and had some fun.

I made a small two section that will work in my 6g traveling tank. Then I made some really cool shapes for my main system. It needs more rock and I was waiting for inspiration.

Hard to see the details and crevices and such, but each are really cool and lots of dimension to them.

Couple things to remember...
1. Wear good gloves. I did not the first time and ripped a few and also had to scrap blue off the rocks. Second heavy pair are still fine.
2. Do this in ventilated area. When the glue starts to bond, the smell is bad. I was tearing up a lot. Had to step away. Worse than onions for me.
3. Be creative and have fun. The bonds hold even with a small section touching.

Attachments

• 6g double structure.jpg
    6g double structure.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 137
  • double rock.jpg
    double rock.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 134
  • rock outreach and cave.jpg
    rock outreach and cave.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 121
  • sleeping rock.jpg
    sleeping rock.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 121
  • triple rock.jpg
    triple rock.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 139

Glue Masters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I first broke up my rocks that were just huge. Then I cleaned them of any skeletons (mostly the dreaded snail homes). Then made a sandbox and had some fun.

I made a small two section that will work in my 6g traveling tank. Then I made some really cool shapes for my main system. It needs more rock and I was waiting for inspiration.

Hard to see the details and crevices and such, but each are really cool and lots of dimension to them.

1. Wear good gloves. I did not the first time and ripped a few and also had to scrap blue off the rocks. Second heavy pair are still fine.
2. Do this in ventilated area. When the glue starts to bond, the smell is bad. I was tearing up a lot. Had to step away. Worse than onions for me.
This is awesome!!!!!

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks awesome!
Which sand did you use? Did you have extra dry sand or did you get enough from breaking the rocks?
We were going to work on our aquascape this weekend but we only have live wet sand and rocks that need breaking.
Also we are gonna be delayed cuz I forgot to order the glue.

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome!
Which sand did you use? Did you have extra dry sand or did you get enough from breaking the rocks?
We were going to work on our aquascape this weekend but we only have live wet sand and rocks that need breaking.
You need dry sand. The reason it works so well is the watery glue getting sucked into the sand via capillary action and locking everything in place.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome!

Thanks. In person they are much better.
I just bought a bag of the fine dry aragonite from Carib Sea. 30lb bag like $20 or something like that. Tons of extra. So, I guess I have it for other applications. Running low on glue though. :)

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome!
I just used the fine powder from breaking up my dry rock. If there was a bigger joint I’d toss in some of the tiny pieces then toss the powder on top of that then add the glue. It sets up super strong!
I’m building a new structure just for fun and at one point I didn’t like where I added a rock and decided to break it off....well the rock broke in half instead. The joints are stronger than the dry rock.

Glue Masters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. In person they are much better.
I just bought a bag of the fine dry aragonite from Carib Sea. 30lb bag like $20 or something like that. Tons of extra. So, I guess I have it for other applications. Running low on glue though. :)
Well we can help on the glue part of things ;)

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get the first bottle from you. Have a bit left, so we will see how far it goes. Hoping it will make the rest I plan to do. If not, I will be ordering another. :)
Thanks.

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what, it's so simple, and I already have experience with this with wood working and sawdust, I can't believe I never even considered this! I'm definitely going to have to give this a go on my next scape :)

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting segway into unique service/product line. Each one will be a standalone art piece, also opportunities for custom work. Love it.
Completely agree! As a newbie I would have easily paid for some beautiful rockscapes rather than me stacking rock!

Drewker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any limitations on ambient temperature when using this glue? Ventilated for me right now means in the garage, where the temperature will probably be in the upper 30's/ low 40's. I know, that sounds super fun!

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any limitations on ambient temperature when using this glue? Ventilated for me right now means in the garage, where the temperature will probably be in the upper 30's/ low 40's. I know, that sounds super fun!
No..I keep it in the fridge between uses and the thin works fine right away

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back