Tigahboy's Macroalgae Tank(s)

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some random shots from my grow-out tank.
DSC08061.jpg

DSC08307.jpg
Nice. Where did you get the Cymopolia barbata and Portieria?

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you attaching the macro algae so it doesn't just float in the water column? Rubber banding to rock to anchor it?

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you attaching the macro algae so it doesn't just float in the water column? Rubber banding to rock to anchor it?

I'm not sure how Tigahboy does it, but I found that a small black ziptie around the base of the clump super glued to a rock works well for fleshy ones like Dragons breath or Gracilaria, or just superglue directly for coraline and calcareous algae. In some of my tanks, the clumps just settle in a corner or back depending on flow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Where did you get the Cymopolia barbata and Portieria?
Gulf Coast Ecosystems!

Either wedge between rock or rock rubble (keep a lot of extra rock rubble for this very purpose) or tie with fishing line/thread/poly band. Ziptie works too. Super glue hasn't work out so well for me, so I try to avoid it as much as I can (but sometimes you just have to glue a little).

How's your sargassum doing?
Also, have you heard of this site?
Gulf Specimen Marine Lab
Sargassum didn't survive. I can never get them to in my tanks. -_- They seem very difficult to keep long-term and I don't know anyone who has kept them thriving for very long. If you know someone who has, do let me know though so I can ask questions. :)

I've never heard of this site. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my lagoon tank.

Decided to go with a beach vibe for this project. :D
DSC09231.jpg

To go with the beach theme, I added some dry barnacles to the tank. Also added some Rhipocephalus phoenix (the tree-like algae) to go with my Caulerpa paspaloides (palm tree caulerpa) and a couple pencil cap algae as well.
DSC09447.jpg

Added 2 blue porcelain crabs. Haven't seen them at all since adding them though...
DSC09700.jpg

Added a bunch of orange legged hermit crabs as well. Please don't eat my macroalgae or kill my snails!
DSC09728-2.jpg

Another view of this set-up.
DSC09426.jpg

Let me know what you think!

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my lagoon tank.

Decided to go with a beach vibe for this project. :D
DSC09231.jpg

To go with the beach theme, I added some dry barnacles to the tank. Also added some Rhipocephalus phoenix (the tree-like algae) to go with my Caulerpa paspaloides (palm tree caulerpa) and a couple pencil cap algae as well.
DSC09447.jpg

Added 2 blue porcelain crabs. Haven't seen them at all since adding them though...
DSC09700.jpg

Added a bunch of orange legged hermit crabs as well. Please don't eat my macroalgae or kill my snails!
DSC09728-2.jpg

Another view of this set-up.
DSC09426.jpg

Let me know what you think!
You've already inspired me to make a macroalgae tank, just started it. Any recommendations on inverts to avoid that eat macroalgae? I'm making this purely macroalgae, but livestock will be special inverts. Halloween hermits, electric blue leg hermits, porcelain crabs, sexy shrimp, etc.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've already inspired me to make a macroalgae tank, just started it. Any recommendations on inverts to avoid that eat macroalgae? I'm making this purely macroalgae, but livestock will be special inverts. Halloween hermits, electric blue leg hermits, porcelain crabs, sexy shrimp, etc.
That’s awesome! Looking forward to seeing yours. I think most inverts are fine but of course stay away from emerald crabs, urchins, sea hares, Mexican turbos. I do think hermits can munch on them too, but probably not too much (I still keep hermits myself). Good luck!

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics man. Got my fluval evo setup for my macroalgae tank. Waiting on live rock shipment and then I'll be up and going! Still researching inverts and which macroalgae species i want in here. These tanks and this thread are such an inspiration. First thread I've found over my 10 years of reefing that made me want to buy and tank and do this setup. My compliments sir :)

TheDallasCollector

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question since you are the resident expert on macros . Can I add any macros to my DT that won’t effect my corals, and that my tangs won’t eat? Something nice and decorative that wouldn’t get out of control. Thanks in advance!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add any macros to my DT that won’t effect my corals, and that my tangs won’t eat? Something nice and decorative that wouldn’t get out of control. Thanks in advance!
There are a few. One of the slowest growing, underrated, and most indestructible in my opinion is branching coralline. I would only assume urchins could eat it (and even then it would be difficult for them due to its calcareous nature). From my experience, it’s somewhat easy to care for (remember to provide it with elevated calcium).
https://addictivereefkeeping.com/product/thick-branching-coralline-algae-frag-1-to-3-free-shipping/
https://addictivereefkeeping.com/product/thick-and-thin-branching-coralline-algae-frag-1-to-2/
https://www.live-plants.com/corallinefine.htm
https://www.live-plants.com/corallinecluster.htm

Last edited:

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool tanks. Glad I found this thread. Where are you getting your macros from? Or can you frag me some? Hah! Always wanted to grow macros in display, especially red gracilaria and figure out how to do that without tangs eating it all.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool tanks. Glad I found this thread. Where are you getting your macros from? Or can you frag me some? Hah! Always wanted to grow macros in display, especially red gracilaria and figure out how to do that without tangs eating it all.
I get mine from all over really. LFSs, Reefcleaners, Gulf Coast Ecosystems, Alyssa's Seahorses. Not easy to find and places are always out of stock, but they are out there!

I do sell frags, but only locally in Seattle area at the moment.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back