OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Tigahboy , thanks for sharing! Haven’t the UNS 30A been around for a while? Or are you saying there’s a new version of it coming out..?
There’s 2 new versions coming out. One with a white background for freshwater and the other with a larger chamber that can accommodate UNS line saltwater add-ons such as protein skimmer, fuge reactor, etc. There are other upgrades and improvements as well such as a glass back wall instead of acrylic.

muffinmanXL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s 2 new versions coming out. One with a white background for freshwater and the other with a larger chamber that can accommodate UNS line saltwater add-ons such as protein skimmer, fuge reactor, etc. There are other upgrades and improvements as well such as a glass back wall instead of acrylic.

Thank you! I love my UNS freshwater nano and am excited to hear they're making inroads into the salty side of things. Anticipated release date? I can't seem to find anything on the internet / on their website

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really pleased to find @ Tigahboy 's work here. I have enjoyed following along on Instagram. That Hawaii aquascape is amazing!
Thank you! That was such a fun project!

Thank you! I love my UNS freshwater nano and am excited to hear they're making inroads into the salty side of things. Anticipated release date? I can't seem to find anything on the internet / on their website
Should be within the next couple months! They also have a full reef system line with sump and everything that will be released at the same time.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm told there will be a page with more information coming out next week, so I'll be sure to add it here when it does.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello! This tank is cycling now.

C3392F8D-723F-4D23-9220-A314C61D2AC4.jpeg

Added a light bar made by ONF and moved over my ReefBreeders Photon 32 from my IM 30L over to this tank. Also using the ReefBreeders Fuge Pico V2 over the sump.

Another shot.
E054787C-2008-4338-874F-3755638C9501.jpeg

What is you setup and schedule for the reefbreeders? I have one over two macro tanks.

I have another macro tank coming online and considering lighting for it. I was considering a Twinstar or a Chihiros but I have a extra Kessil AP9X laying around too.. Really wanted to try a light for planted freshwater tanks though.
I also need some lights for my mangrove tank which has some seagrass and macros.

What do you prefer over macro tanks. A freshwater fixture for planted tanks or a reef light?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is you setup and schedule for the reefbreeders? I have one over two macro tanks.

I have another macro tank coming online and considering lighting for it. I was considering a Twinstar or a Chihiros but I have a extra Kessil AP9X laying around too.. Really wanted to try a light for planted freshwater tanks though.
I also need some lights for my mangrove tank which has some seagrass and macros.

What do you prefer over macro tanks. A freshwater fixture for planted tanks or a reef light?
Here's my schedule for my Reefbreeders Photon:

Photoperiod: 1pm - 10 pm
Violet: 15%
Deep Red: 25%
Green: 15%
Cool Blue: 35%
Royal Blue: 20%
White: 35%

I first adjusted based on just what I thought would be good for macros and how it looked to my naked eye, then little by little tweaked it over time. But this is where I landed and I've had good growth from my macroalgae.

I think macros can adjust to a variety of lighting so you could really go with what you think looks best and works for you in terms of control. I first started using all freshwater planted tank lights (with a lot of success -- they will grow macroalgae really well) but over time started moving towards reef lights that I can control with an app and that I'm able to adjust a bunch to get to close to planted tank light spectrum but with the option of adding more blue spectrum in case I wanted to add more coral.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's my schedule for my Reefbreeders Photon:

Photoperiod: 1pm - 10 pm
Violet: 15%
Deep Red: 25%
Green: 15%
Cool Blue: 35%
Royal Blue: 20%
White: 35%

I first adjusted based on just what I thought would be good for macros and how it looked to my naked eye, then little by little tweaked it over time. But this is where I landed and I've had good growth from my macroalgae.

I think macros can adjust to a variety of lighting so you could really go with what you think looks best and works for you in terms of control. I first started using all freshwater planted tank lights (with a lot of success -- they will grow macroalgae really well) but over time started moving towards reef lights that I can control with an app and that I'm able to adjust a bunch to get to close to planted tank light spectrum but with the option of adding more blue spectrum in case I wanted to add more coral.

Thank you.
Yea Twinstar really does not have much control but the Chihiros does. I hear you on the controllability and thought about it myself..

I have used mostly reef lights.
Reef lights are just so much more expensive. I really find flame algae likes more blue and not real bright. It frigen glows.
Some Flame algae under Kessil pretty blue:

20230326_191347.jpg

One of my fuges temporarily holding some halimeda, shaving brush and flame algae.
This is under reef breeders not very blue.

20230803_165154.jpg

This is some sargassum that grew out of some live rock.
Just under some cheap led strips. Just for scale that is a 20x20 cube aquarium.

upload_2019-3-4_13-31-59.png

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
Yea Twinstar really does not have much control but the Chihiros does. I hear you on the controllability and thought about it myself..

I have used mostly reef lights.
Reef lights are just so much more expensive. I really find flame algae likes more blue and not real bright. It frigen glows.
Some Flame algae under Kessil pretty blue:

20230326_191347.jpg

One of my fuges temporarily holding some halimeda, shaving brush and flame algae.
This is under reef breeders not very blue.

20230803_165154.jpg

This is some sargassum that grew out of some live rock.
Just under some cheap led strips. Just for scale that is a 20x20 cube aquarium.

upload_2019-3-4_13-31-59.png
Totally agree that certain specifics of macroalgae that grow in deeper water, such as dragon's breath/halymenia like the one you have, definitely do better under more blues.

I'm curious did that sargassum grow from a tiny piece to that?? That's super impressive! What kind of cheap LED lights are you using? Please share your sargassum grow tips with us. :)

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Totally agree that certain specifics of macroalgae that grow in deeper water, such as dragon's breath/halymenia like the one you have, definitely do better under more blues.

I'm curious did that sargassum grow from a tiny piece to that?? That's super impressive! What kind of cheap LED lights are you using? Please share your sargassum grow tips with us. :)

I had to look back and actually I was wrong. It grew out in my tub and was under T-5 there. This was awhile ago. It was actually much larger than in that picture and a chunk broke off moving it there. The tub had no filter just a heater and circulation. It was holding tank for my live rock, corals and fish till my system was finished. They were in the tub for a long time maybe even close too two years. I believed it did grow for a while in that aquarium pictured above before it was just to big.
I also think in that picture above it was under Evergrow strips and one or two t-5.

I never had issues growing sargassum but I have not ever had it under 100 percent led. I know freshwater planted people have issues with certain plants also under just led. I now need to get some and try under led.

Only real thing I do different is add silica to my tanks for sponges and diatoms.

It did grow off some rock from Gulf Live Rock. I love their rock. Just about every type of algae grows off their deco rock.

Here is a few pics of it. The first pic may actually be the piece of sargassum that grew into the picture above.
The large sponge, goni and leather were not from the rock.

I mean look at that rock and all the different algae that came in on it.

20181108_164140 small.jpg
20190508_183723.jpg

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest FTS of the 70g / UNS 90U (added a small BTA recently which is in nem prison in the upper left corner until I'm able to grow it out a little more)
DSC06009-3.jpg

An FTS from 7 months back for reference.
DSC00311-2.jpg

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest FTS of the 70g / UNS 90U (added a small BTA recently which is in nem prison in the upper left corner until I'm able to grow it out a little more)
DSC06009-3.jpg

An FTS from 7 months back for reference.
DSC00311-2.jpg
The growth of the tank is incredible!

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Drewerd7

Dank Tank Club
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my ReefBuilders feature article that just came out yesterday!

Thanks for always being open to share your knowledge and experience.
Your photo skills are also a joy to witness.

There is no magic formula, but everyone's sharing and willingness to contribute and discuss in this hobby keep it encouraging and inviting to newcomers.

I believe this shared knowledge is the main reason we have such wide success in this hobby.

OP
OP
Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got back from @Reef A Palooza Texas and was able to get this beautiful red macroalgae (with orange spots) - Halymenia stipitata - from a local reefer in a trade. I visited a wholesaler in Texas as well and I asked the owner if I could get some of the Dictyota (shown below to the left) that was growing randomly on one of the overflow boxes in a grow-out tank. He said that was a first for him and he gladly handed me a couple clumps. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
DSC06542-3.jpg

DSC06546.jpg

I also had the pleasure of meeting and hanging out with the one and only @revhtree. Check out the R2R's Instagram for a very quick interview I did with him.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back