Time to buy a generator!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A very stressful few hours. My power went out since 2 thankfully it just turned back on. As I’m frantically running to the store and trying to figure out a plan. Now I’m investing in a large portable battery.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a power transfer switch installed in my house -- and bought a generator -- after reading awful stories here about the effects of the Southern US ice/winter storms. I'm not sorry I did it, either, as the power went off on multiple occasions this summer.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A very stressful few hours. My power went out since 2 thankfully it just turned back on. As I’m frantically running to the store and trying to figure out a plan. Now I’m investing in a large portable battery.
I have a battery powered generator that only my return pump is plugged into and the generator is always charging keeping it at 100%. If my power goes out I have 24 hours of runtime on my return pump. I also have a flow generator on one of my 2 return lines above the water level so it creates a surface breakage and thus oxygen. It is an expensive one time purchase that could save your whole tank.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A nice little Honda generator is good for general disaster preparedness. Don’t cheap out, cheap generators don’t work when you need them. And a battery backup to keep water moving on a power head is a great stop gap.
Bad thing about those is they're not automatic backups. Well at least for someone like me who works 13+ hours.

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do mind that if you go the gasoline generator route that you use a fuel preserver and keep a spare spark plug on hand. It needs to work if it has to at that moment. There was a awesome tip on reef therapy for a gas powered generator since gas is easier to store and the generator requires less maintenance I think.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad thing about those is they're not automatic backups. Well at least for someone like me who works 13+ hours.
For sure, why I recommended a battery backup for a stopgap. But you are gonna need more than that for longer outages and things like heating and running multiple pieces of equipment.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two portable $10 buck D battery airstones and 8 D batteries. Will provide flow for 2 weeks easy in my 180.
Total cost, $35, use twice in 10 years, went 18 hours first, then 38 second…..no issue at all.
We don’t have long power outages in our area, this factors in greatly.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live in rural Georgia and power goes out often, and with ice storms for extended periods - generac was the solution for the house and the tanks within .
Hope you get your back up set up Ayden

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two portable $10 buck D battery airstones and 8 D batteries. Will provide flow for 2 weeks easy in my 180.
Total cost, $35, use twice in 10 years, went 18 hours first, then 38 second…..no issue at all.
We don’t have long power outages in our area, this factors in greatly.
What did you do for your heater or were your outages in summer? I think heat and flow would be the two primary pieces for backup power during winter outages. I also have one of those battery operated airstone bubblers.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do for your heater or were your outages in summer? I think heat and flow would be the two primary pieces for backup power during winter outages. I also have one of those battery operated airstone bubblers.
I don’t have anything for heat except fireplace, can keep the water above 73F
In the event of a summer outage, I just hang a 2litre pop bottle ice cube in the water.
The power here is quite reliable over the past 60 years, so I just need to keep her going for say 24-48 at best.
If I lived in storm areas, I’d probably get a good automatic generator.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive been without power twice- One was 3 hours and other 14- all did well. I have a generator which I paid much for but have discovered Great prices of Harbor Freight
Also some newer ones on craigslist and ebay
With ebay- click at top on " Closest distance first" feature

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Being in Florida we have to live with the possibility of being out of power from time to time due to hurricanes. So this is what we use.
FB99DA96-37CF-4D05-A894-79B68A8BBC78.jpeg

I can say without a doubt it sure is helpful to have a generator the covers 100% of the power needs on site. But that being said, this isn’t a possible solution for everyone. If your in the market for a portable generator, get one with a Honda engine. They are very durable and build to last. Also, don’t store gas in it, fill it when needed. Fuel stabilizers are great, but don’t last forever.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have anything for heat except fireplace, can keep the water above 73F
In the event of a summer outage, I just hang a 2litre pop bottle ice cube in the water.
The power here is quite reliable over the past 60 years, so I just need to keep her going for say 24-48 at best.
If I lived in storm areas, I’d probably get a good automatic generator.
Nice! I live in a very reliable area as well but if we ever lost power for any length of time during the winter I would have to have power for a heater along with oxygen. The battery powered airstones would be fine for oxygen for the fish but I wonder about flow for the corals. I definitely have to think about something for a heater. I keep procrastinating on that. If those whole home Generacs weren't so expensive I would get one of those. :)

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a power transfer switch installed in my house -- and bought a generator -- after reading awful stories here about the effects of the Southern US ice/winter storms. I'm not sorry I did it, either, as the power went off on multiple occasions this summer.
what make/model transfer switch? :)

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You know a genny is expensive! Initial cost and upkeep. I'd find a decent battery system for your size tank. Will do the job for the most part, except extreme events and that's just that at tat stage
Oh yes. I probably will go with one of those it’s like $20-$50ish. A portable battery.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back