Time to buy a generator!

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping for the best! Is there someone in the area who can throw a battery powered bubbler from Walmart on it till you can get home?

Working on it... looks like ETA 6 hours on the bubbler. Fingers crossed power comes back before that.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very stressful few hours. My power went out since 2 thankfully it just turned back on. As I’m frantically running to the store and trying to figure out a plan. Now I’m investing in a large portable battery.
Since your tank is small and you are looking at portably batteries.

I assume you have a car? Is it accessible with a heavy duty extension cord? If so you may be able to use your car as a portable generator. Look into "power inverters" that you can plug into the power port/cigarette lighter of your vehicle.

You may not be able to run a bunch of stuff...heater might draw too much, but circulation pumps, etc.

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I require an update on this situation.....please. I have been having anxiety issues all day over it.

Ordered a battery bubbler but Petco cancelled it. My buddy is going to try and find one and then get to the house. More to come. In some respects, it could be worse. I just started the tank 2 months ago. Worst case I'll be down 2 clowns and CUC.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ordered a battery bubbler but Petco cancelled it. My buddy is going to try and find one and then get to the house. More to come. In some respects, it could be worse. I just started the tank 2 months ago. Worst case I'll be down 2 clowns and CUC.
If you were closer, I have a extra battery powered air pump you could have.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case:
1. Two battery backups one for each mp10
2. Rescue Air Pumps with additional usb power, 2 of those
3. Goal Zero battery generator with solar panel charging if needed. Bought it just for the tank, nice small size.

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Down here in Olympia, we seem to have at least one good one every year.
Sometimes several.

Learning that might be the case. I'll be building a battery backup when I get home. I'm consoling myself with Napa wines at the moment. I'm at my 4th winery of the day.

Rigoberto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learning that might be the case. I'll be building a battery backup when I get home. I'm consoling myself with Napa wines at the moment. I'm at my 4th winery of the day.
Right on. 100A LiFePO4 + small inverter (maybe 400w) + small charger, and one case of red.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what make/model transfer switch? :)
Not sure; I had an electrician hardwire it directly into the existing panel and then create a cable so that I could plug the generator directly into the external outlet that she installed on the side of the house. Expensive, but nice and easy to use. :)

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned years ago a gas powered generator is very good insurance.
Had one since the early 90's. Wouldn't even think of not having one now.
You don't need a whole house generator. Mine only powers about 1/2 my house, but I have lights, heat, entertainment center, hot water heater, and oh yeah both my tanks have full power.
You don't need the transfer switch either, but it sure is nice not having a hundred feet of extension cords all over the place.
Harbor Freight sells pretty reliable generators.

Just had a wind storm blow through last night. I see on the local news thousands of people without power. I wonder how many of them have fish tanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I am one of them. Lost power for 18 hours last night/today. Of course I had everything planned except for a long duration power outage. I lost two fish so far, hopefully that is the extent but I am not happy with myself for not having a better backup plan. I am planning on getting a 2000W portable gas generator soon to keep a few things powered in the future.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have these on all my tanks hooked to a Nero power head that disturbs the water surface. This guarantees that I have oxygen when the power goes out. I also have a portable generator that I can run which will
Power all 6 of my tanks. Takes a little while to get all the cords run, but the battery pack gives me the time to get home and set up if I’m not there at the time.

Unfortunately it isn’t automatic so probably not good enough if I’m out of town.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have these on all my tanks hooked to a Nero power head that disturbs the water surface. This guarantees that I have oxygen when the power goes out. I also have a portable generator that I can run which will
Power all 6 of my tanks. Takes a little while to get all the cords run, but the battery pack gives me the time to get home and set up if I’m not there at the time.

Unfortunately it isn’t automatic so probably not good enough if I’m out of town.
Oops click wrong button before adding pic.

Attachments

• 11604143-372C-4D8D-9AAF-95A739A0F973.jpeg
    11604143-372C-4D8D-9AAF-95A739A0F973.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 20

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I bought one of these…in the event a power outage happens again.
A8E627FD-780E-4587-894C-7B4928CB4CFF.jpeg
I bought several D battery air pumps, I often use them if purchasing a larger fish as I’m 3+ hours from LFS. I think they can be very helpful and have used them during power outage and also if I need to quickly increase O2 in tank.

That being said, the battery packs, while being more expensive, will automatically run a DC power head without any action on your part. I feel this is peace of mind because the power can go out when you are at the grocery store etc.

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I require an update on this situation.....please. I have been having anxiety issues all day over it.

Ok, both fish are alive and a bubbler is in the aquarium. Still no power. After 4 wineries and an amazing dinner, I've moved on to Pliny the Elder. Crisis somewhat mitigated.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back