Time to buy a generator!

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my large deep cycle SLA battery with a USB input. Can power a USB water pump. for 7 days. I have a relay in there that kicks it on when power goes out.
I’m in FL so don’t have to worry about cold too much. I’ve wondered if folks in cold places could heat the tank by carefully placing candles in the sump

Attachments

• F1DD5F2C-9F1E-4285-95C5-523F5982E5A4.jpeg
    F1DD5F2C-9F1E-4285-95C5-523F5982E5A4.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 25

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes. I probably will go with one of those it’s like $20-$50ish. A portable battery.
No, don't listen to that advice. Poor advice. You spend the money on that generator...make sure it is a whole home generator too...and make sure on the next power outage you turn on more lights than usual soo ALL your neighbors can see it.

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
No, don't listen to that advice. Poor advice. You spend the money on that generator...make sure it is a whole home generator too...and make sure on the next power outage you turn on more lights than usual soo ALL your neighbors can see it.
I guess it really depends on how much you have invested in your tank. Everyone’s situation is different and I know this wouldn’t be a feasible solution to the situations I’ve faced. The op did mention the necessity for an automatic transfer switch due to long work hours.

Rigoberto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very stressful few hours. My power went out since 2 thankfully it just turned back on. As I’m frantically running to the store and trying to figure out a plan. Now I’m investing in a large portable battery.
We had an unexpected winter storm - power was out for almost a week in circa 2000. Paid top dollar for a Honda EU1000i to run my tank and heater at that time (and I was so happy to buy it). I suggest that it is best to have a generator on the shelf ready to go. A EU2000i will save your freezer and fishy friends both.

If you go the battery route a solar panel, charge controller, inverter and a LiFePO4 battery might work. IMO a small generator is a better solution though.

Rigoberto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do mind that if you go the gasoline generator route that you use a fuel preserver and keep a spare spark plug on hand. It needs to work if it has to at that moment. There was a awesome tip on reef therapy for a gas powered generator since gas is easier to store and the generator requires less maintenance I think.
I drain the tank and change the oil after each "emergency" use. It's always ready to go.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I learned years ago a gas powered generator is very good insurance.
Had one since the early 90's. Wouldn't even think of not having one now.
You don't need a whole house generator. Mine only powers about 1/2 my house, but I have lights, heat, entertainment center, hot water heater, and oh yeah both my tanks have full power.
You don't need the transfer switch either, but it sure is nice not having a hundred feet of extension cords all over the place.
Harbor Freight sells pretty reliable generators.

Just had a wind storm blow through last night. I see on the local news thousands of people without power. I wonder how many of them have fish tanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize she's young, lives @ home and has a 20g cube for a tank...

I'm all for a good joke & some sarcasm but for those who are advocating for a full fledged home genny setup, y'all are shooting for the moon in this case. She can replace EVERYTHING cost wise before that initial cost for a generator is even considered.

IJS.

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned years ago a gas powered generator is very good insurance.
Had one since the early 90's. Wouldn't even think of not having one now.
You don't need a whole house generator. Mine only powers about 1/2 my house, but I have lights, heat, entertainment center, hot water heater, and oh yeah both my tanks have full power.
You don't need the transfer switch either, but it sure is nice not having a hundred feet of extension cords all over the place.
Harbor Freight sells pretty reliable generators.

Just had a wind storm blow through last night. I see on the local news thousands of people without power. I wonder how many of them have fish tanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Whaaat?? You don't need a reed tank either, but you have one. Most of what we own we don't need. I can sense from the OP that they want a a whole home generator, with WIFI, an ATS with WIFI, with all configurations stored on the cloud. I sense the power in that one...they need it.

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize she's young, lives @ home and has a 20g cube for a tank...

I'm all for a good joke & some sarcasm but for those who are advocating for a full fledged home genny setup, y'all are shooting for the moon in this case. She can replace EVERYTHING cost wise before that initial cost for a generator is even considered.

IJS.
I bet you are fun at parties.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years I used a portable generator and it work great . I had it on a transfer switch being we live in south Louisiana. POW goes out from just a few hours to a week or more. Hunting for gas was alway a pain and expensive. But having lights , saving food and tanks is worth the cost. This last spring we installed a whole house generator. Haven’t lost power since. But nice knowing I don’t have to worry.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very stressful few hours. My power went out since 2 thankfully it just turned back on. As I’m frantically running to the store and trying to figure out a plan. Now I’m investing in a large portable battery.

A beast of a battery backup system is relatively inexpensive to build...

(1) Deep cycle marine battery. $99.00
(1) 10 amp battery charger. $100.00
(1) 110 volt auto-transfer switch. $99.00
(1) 500 watt pure sine wave DC-AC inverter $71.00

Keep in mind that this will not support an entire tank, just the essentials during power outages. This isn't for lights or heaters. You would connect all pumps to this backup, including your protein skimmer as it provides oxygen to the tank.

I have a 5000 watt inverter connected to (3) Deep Cycle marine batteries which supports EVERYTHING for up to 24 hours. After that, I break out the Honda 3000is.

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years I used a portable generator and it work great . I had it on a transfer switch being we live in south Louisiana. POW goes out from just a few hours to a week or more. Hunting for gas was alway a pain and expensive. But having lights , saving food and tanks is worth the cost. This last spring we installed a whole house generator. Haven’t lost power since. But nice knowing I don’t have to worry.
You realize she has a 5 gallon tank in a plastic container with 1 Damsel, running a MP40 and Radion, right?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a battery powered generator that only my return pump is plugged into and the generator is always charging keeping it at 100%. If my power goes out I have 24 hours of runtime on my return pump. I also have a flow generator on one of my 2 return lines above the water level so it creates a surface breakage and thus oxygen. It is an expensive one time purchase that could save your whole tank.
In my view, just return pumps for circulation and protein skimmer for oxygenation.

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm 11 hours into a power outage currently, but I'm 300 miles away... I'm afraid of what I'm coming home to tomorrow.
Hoping for the best! Is there someone in the area who can throw a battery powered bubbler from Walmart on it till you can get home?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back