Time to buy a generator!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said, the battery packs, while being more expensive, will automatically run a DC power head without any action on your part. I feel this is peace of mind because the power can go out when you are at the grocery store etc.

While I do agree that an automatic backup for flow is nice......If my fish can and coral can survive life in a little bag for many hours they can wait for me to get back from the grocery store before dying

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
While I do agree that an automatic backup for flow is nice......If my fish can and coral can survive life in a little bag for many hours they can wait for me to get back from the grocery store before dying
So maybe grocery store was the wrong hypothetical example. And yes a solitary generally survives for 3 hours or so in a bag. They survive longer times when being shipped, but their bagged with oxygen vs air.

All I know is I had some issues with smaller QT tanks that I would shut off their filters to feed, and twice I failed to turn them back on and the fish were stressed in only a couple of hours.

The battery backup I have is not technically for flow, but specifically flow that disrupts the surface go gas exchange (oxygen).

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am one of them. Lost power for 18 hours last night/today. Of course I had everything planned except for a long duration power outage. I lost two fish so far, hopefully that is the extent but I am not happy with myself for not having a better backup plan. I am planning on getting a 2000W portable gas generator soon to keep a few things powered in the future.
I'm surprised to hear this from you. You know how fickle the power grid can be in western Washington

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pulled the trigger on this:

61V1uDu+bTL._AC_SL1080_.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, don't listen to that advice. Poor advice. You spend the money on that generator...make sure it is a whole home generator too...and make sure on the next power outage you turn on more lights than usual soo ALL your neighbors can see it.
Whole home generator isnt needed. That’s hype.
I run my entire home (mostly gas appliances) on a 8750 inverter generator from harbor freight. I live in Hot A texas and run a 4 ton central air unit along with all the other loads in my house, off that genny. Trick is to install what’s called a soft start. It’s a device that wires into the condenser unit and reduces start-up amps by over 70%. Start-up in ac units is what bogs a portable generator and is why whole home generators are grossly over sized. Whole home generator is roughly 10-15k installed. My setup was under 2.5k…….and I can take my genny anywhere vs it being bolted down to a concrete slab.

oreolk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whole house generator with automatic transfer switch for me. Just under 10 grand. While that may seem like a lot up front, the peace of mind is worth it. It may not make sense for a nano tank, but I have a 320 reef, a 50-anemone tank, a nano and a frag tank, so for me it's the right choice. But for the time that the power was out to install the generator, everything made it on battery bubblers.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad thing about those is they're not automatic backups. Well at least for someone like me who works 13+ hours.
An inexpensive Penn Plax battery backup aerator pump with a plug will automatically turn on if your power goes out. As someone who was an aquarium tech for a lfs's accounts, the main thing that causes animal deaths from electrical outages is lack of air. Fish and coral can survive slowly cooling temperatures and lack of lights but they absolutely need oxygenation to keep the tank viable.

This will easily carry the tank over until a generator can be used.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad thing about those is they're not automatic backups. Well at least for someone like me who works 13+ hours.
auto transfer switch can do this with most generators... the switch is seperate from the generator...
my setup is solar to batterys, and if batterys get low(clouds or night time) it turns the generator on till batterys are back to 90% charge then generator custs off. its makes it very automatic and you dont need the generator constantly running (efficeient with the fuel and less noise)

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With winter storms headed our way and since we needed a home back-up, as well as an aquarium back-up, we went with this. I can't believe how quiet this thing is. I plan on connecting a larger marine gas tank to it so I can extend run time between fill-ups.

So now, we only have to worry about power outages while out of town

Last edited:

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With winter storms headed our way and since we needed a home back-up, as well as an aquarium back-up, we went with this. I can't believe how quiet this thing is. I plan on connecting a larger marine gas tank to it so I can extend run time between fill-ups.

So now, we only have to worry about power outages while out of town

An Automatic transfer switch would do the trick for while outta town.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honda generators are not the end all be all out there. Just because Honda charges an arm and a leg doesn't make them the best.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Honda generators are not the end all be all out there. Just because Honda charges an arm and a leg doesn't make them the best.
Maybe, maybe not. But they last for decades if taken care of and are probably the quietest generators out there.
Just about everybody compares their products to the Hondas.

Having used several different brands over the last 25-30 years, if I could afford it, I would go Honda.

Last edited:

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a natural gas automatic backup generator and I'm glad I did. I haven't had any lengthy power outages but the generator has kicked in several times for short outages and I don't have to lift a finger to start it up.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I currently use a Predator 8750 with a gentran which powers most of my house. When I had the gentran installed I had a Generac 6000. I recently contacted several electricians and talked with a couple hvac companies asking what it would take to add my heat pump and furnace to my gentran circuits and nobody I talked with said it would be possible unless I had at least a 12K to 15k generator.
No biggie.
But I am getting ready for weather to roll in tonight.
Weather report is calling for freezing rain with a possible build up of 1/2"+.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back