Time to get started on our 240gal.

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, excited to get back into saltwater after 10yrs or so break. Might as well go big. Bought this tank, I think in 2007 for my dream tang tank but, life got in the way and just kept it easy with fresh water. Now is the time to get back to our dreams.
I am Pattie and my partner in this build is my husband Tony. I come up with these crazy plans and he finds a way to make it work. LOL
We have the 240gal and cabinet with hood, it has an old wet/dry with refuge but, planning on pulling that out and using a 75gal we have to make a sump.
Also plan to make an upstairs bathroom into our water/mixing room. As I said lots of plans.
Will start as a FOWLR but good chance I may add a mixed reef in the future so want to plan for that possibility.
20190225_182840.jpg First step need to get this cleaned out and filled back up to cycle.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following too. Lots of pics please.

did I say welcome yet? If not welcome. If I did welcome again

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Signing up to follow along with the transformation. Looking forward to watching it come together.
Thank you. Hope to keep it interesting. May be entertaining while we try to figure out all the new things that have happened over these missed years.

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice & good planning ! This build will be fun to watch .
I use a 75 as a sump for a 180 nice size with plenty of room.

Glad to here it still sounds like a good plan. LOL so much changes. Would love to see a pic of yours. Will need to get Tony on here to fill in more of the details on the sump plan.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to here it still sounds like a good plan. LOL so much changes. Would love to see a pic of yours. Will need to get Tony on here to fill in more of the details on the sump plan.
below is a pic of my sump. Very simple 3 section sump. Left is where water enters & a skimmer ,middle is the return ,third is a refugium with whatever I can grow there. The refugium is fed off the return .
HPIM9390.JPG

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
below is a pic of my sump. Very simple 3 section sump. Left is where water enters & a skimmer ,middle is the return ,third is a refugium with whatever I can grow there. The refugium is fed off the return .
HPIM9390.JPG

This is what we were thinking. Just were trying to decide if this was best vs the intake with skimmer then fuge then return. Does this seem to work better, keeping the fuge farther from the skimmer with it's own return coming in?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey MC, I would of put the return last but pluming& sump placement issues forced the compromise. Seems to be working just fine.

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I know I'm slacking on this build updates. LOL ;Shamefullyembarrased
Tony got in yesterday but, had so much "life" to do didn't get much done.
Anyone else get aggravated:( when stuff keeps coming up and you can't just work on your tank stuff? LOL.
We got tank drained and all the rock out but we have had so much rain off and on for weeks now and been too muddy outside. I need it to dry out enough to be able to put the rock out on a tarp in the drive so I can spray it down and scrub it. Then it goes back in the brute until I get the rest of the sand out, cleaned and the walls scrubbed down. We did decide we are going to repaint the stand cause it is looking a little ruff. been over 10yrs soooo.
Tony is back out on the road but, ordering the RO/DI unit and some plumbing tomorrow. Then we can start making up some water. I need to get this moving.;)

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally feel like we got a little bit done.
20190318_182153.jpg
got the tank cleaned up and sump pulled out and cleaned.
20190318_182216.jpg
Got the 55gal. Cleaned and put in livingroom so we can watch the quarantinies.
And the 29 gal. Cleaned and waiting for a place. Have the rock out and I'm working on cleaning them now.
And YAY, got a delivery.
20190319_123333.jpg

The RO/DI unit and plumbing for it and also a new HOB overflow filter for the 55gal. Now we can get some water made.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry fitting some plumbing for the mixing station.
20190319_151646.jpg
20190319_151740.jpg

And trying to decide where to hang the ro/di unit. Things are finally getting there.
This....This right here is the true definition of a dedicated reefer. Bath tub??? we don't need no bath tub in this bathroom. ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

I figure it's the spare so who cares. Tank is looking great and looking forward to following along.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back