Time to give up on these acros?

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, about 6 months ago I neglected my tank enough that it affected my acros. For the most part they've all bounced back and are doing great with a couple exceptions. My bubblebath unicorn and fox flame remain in a seemingly dormant state with decent color and polyp extension but no noticeable growth (aside from a little on the fox flame). Both corals were growing great prior to the incident.

I'm staring to wonder if it's time to remove them and start over. Alternatively, would cutting off the deformed growth and leaving the encrusted base potentially jump start new growth? Really not looking forward to scraping these from the rocks.

20220430_175530.jpg 20220430_175444.jpg 20220430_175430.jpg

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they still have flesh and polyp extension, +1 on letting them go and see if/when they bounce back. Sometimes it can take a month or two. I have a tort that I got over a month ago, JUST now seeing some good polyp extension. Sometimes they just get angry lol

OP
OP
Octocat

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! They've already had over 6 months to come around, so it's not like I didn't give them a chance! I have a few frags I added after the incedent that are already sending out shoots and will be mini colonies soon.

These are also in prime spots and very visible making it harder. Even if they do recover, the deformed growth will likely never recover, right? So, I'd have to wait for the new growth the eventually hide it.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave them. They will grow when they are ready, often quite quickly when the time comes. I've had acros encrust for ages and then all of a sudden, boom. Up to you.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d snip the tip of both. I’ve also seen someone make a tic tac toe pattern over encrustment to encourage growth. Sounds crazy but it might just work.
922BCCF9-7E9A-4999-BC12-A0EA0EF1165C.jpeg
I did this with my Bill Murray. Caused a lot of growth. You can see the shadow of the “trunk” where it was cut. It was just growing straight up in a pillar. I’d almost snip it at the base and make the tip a frag so you don’t end up with a ticking time bomb like this.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that this thread just came up. I've had a dormant BC Mr. Neutron in my tank for over a year now, and was just considering nipping the tip.
Think I'll give it a go.
Not much to nip, as the frag was only 5/8" to begin with, but not much to lose at this point!
165301740914111664666623985310.jpg

OP
OP
Octocat

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this with my Bill Murray. Caused a lot of growth. You can see the shadow of the “trunk” where it was cut. It was just growing straight up in a pillar. I’d almost snip it at the base and make the tip a frag so you don’t end up with a ticking time bomb like this.

Haha, my Bill Murray is following a similar looking growth pattern without ever being snipped. But, it's got a ways to go before it reaches the size of the specimen in your photo!

Gonna snip the bubblebath unicorn at the base. The fox flame has continued to show slow signs of improvement, so ill leave it be for now.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fox flame I would nip the tip off of because it looks a little rough but the other I would leave alone. Pretty sure that one needs lots of basing out to really get going from what others have said. If the tiny axial coralites on that piece look soft and oddly shaped maybe cut them too. If they look normal leave it.

OP
OP
Octocat

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally see nothing wrong with either coral. Both have color, and nice polyp extension. If it were me, I would just leave them be.

Err, the problem (as stated) is both corals have shown almost no growth after growing great before the incident-- all the encrusting you see happened 6+ months ago. If they were in a frag tank or hidden in the back of the dt, I'd be more patient.

Thanks again to everyone for your input. I still plan to cut the bubblebath unicorn, and I'll update this thread in a month or so with the results.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Err, the problem (as stated) is both corals have shown almost no growth after growing great before the incident-- all the encrusting you see happened 6+ months ago. If they were in a frag tank or hidden in the back of the dt, I'd be more patient.

Thanks again to everyone for your input. I still plan to cut the bubblebath unicorn, and I'll update this thread in a month or so with the results.

+1 I have seen this work,and it worked well and quickly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back