Time to make the Doughnuts

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen food is awesome, nutritious and now readily available but at a cost.
I would rather buy this stuff locally but there isn't any place with good frozen food near me. I looked into online buying but the shipping cost just wasn't worth it.
So I make my own.
It's easy and CHEAP. My last batch lasted me 5 or six months and these are the same ingredients from that batch.
I forget but I think I spent around $25 for everything so it turns out $25 feeds my tank for 10 months, I'll take that!!!
This time I didn't have scallops. So I just went with clams and shrimp.
Saving where I can to put into livestock lol.
20211006_093231.jpg
20211006_100055.jpg
20211006_102510.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I asked the wife if I could use her food processor for this, she didn't even say anything, I just got the the look.
15 bucks at walmart is how I got around it lol. Make my food, then blend water and vinagar, then rinse out and put it up for the next time. If I was to use her superduper cuisenart thingy, I would not wake up when I went to sleep lol.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it's all seafood that any person would eat, not sure why the wives get "that look" when you want to use the cuisinart?

I make my own too, but add TDO pellets, and PE mysis. Think I got my silicone cube trays from amazon.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it's all seafood that any person would eat, not sure why the wives get "that look" when you want to use the cuisinart?

I make my own too, but add TDO pellets, and PE mysis. Think I got my silicone cube trays from amazon.
My wife hates seafood lol. That is my reason for "the look".

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I asked the wife if I could use her food processor for this, she didn't even say anything, I just got the the look.
I had to buy my wife a new one, she said it was contaminated. Lol

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 bucks at walmart is how I got around it lol. Make my food, then blend water and vinagar, then rinse out and put it up for the next time. If I was to use her superduper cuisenart thingy, I would not wake up when I went to sleep lol.
Hysterical!!!

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow the same process for my fish food, even down to the same trays (except mine are black silicone). Thankfully, though they complain jokingly about the smell, my family did not mind me using their food processor until I get my own.

Since I have a purple tang and like herbivorous fish, I also include shredded nori or crushed spirulina wafers in my mix.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My single biggest problem is that I am very allergic to shrimp, lobster and crabs. I had to take an allergy pill right after I finished.
Still worth it.
Dam that sucks.
I can't afford any of those things but I still want to be able to eat it.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the wife thing. I bought a blender specifically for the fish food. Only that goes near it and it is sanitized and put away between uses. Of course, this is for me. I cannot handle the smell it creates.
Love the trays. I just make flats with my foodsaver vacuum machine.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey G man....

Watch your Phosphates using fresh deli products. At the seafood packing plant they SPRAY a lot of seafood for transport with food grade phosphorus additives to retain freshness and moisture.

Quote off WEBMD for ppl with kidney problems and added Phosphates to their diet

Phosphorus additives are added by food manufacturers to enhance flavor and moistness in deli meats, frozen food, cereals, cheese, and baked goods, as well as in sodas and prepared iced tea mixes.

That stuff gets in your tank, it'll skyrocket your po4 to 2ppm in a snap.

Just sayin....

Last edited:

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re a trailblazer Caption King! I do the same: Walmart, cans of Oysters, Baby Clams, and those tiny Shrimp. Each can cost me one of those random Walmart prices like $2.82 or $3.44??? Blend them with the packing juices and put them in ziplock sandwich bags. Freeze.
2A1330F8-B54E-437D-A675-6967A5733A9D.jpeg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Haha my wife gave me that look when she caught me taking one of the fancy fluffy bath towels to my fish room. I kept going and quickly closed the door.

The next day i got an alert for my checking account over $400 charge(we have separate accounts but she also has a card for my account as a backup). I asked her what that was for and she said since she was out getting bath towels anyway she picked up a few things for herself. Now I obey that look.....

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back