OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think caused the dinos?
They initially popped up when I started to feed my tank more heavily with coral food such as amino acids. I guess they hitchhiked in on something but I also think my oversized skimmer played a role since it was just not skimming on a consistent basis. And perhaps the dry rock was harboring a lot of phosphate, although I did use GFO aggressively which in theory should have brought the phosphate down in the rock and in equilibrium with the phosphate in the water column.

Stonecold

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going with live rock, no more dry rock only tanks for me. I do think that contributed to some of my troubles with this tank. I have talked to other veteran SPS folks and they too had trouble when using dry rock only....just had a hard time growing SPS like they had in the past. But I am sure there are a ton of folks out there who have 100% dry rock only tanks and have achieved great success....I was just not one of them :(

+1 on your opinion. May 2016, I also started a new tank with the same exact rocks as yours. I continue to have exact issues that you've encountered. Good luck!!

Fr4nkthet4nk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Mr. ReefBum. I have been following your youtube channel since I started my tank. I am having the same problem with Dino. Nothing is working for me. I have few question for you since you are starting over.

Question 1: Where did you place your fish and corals that you have?
Question 2: What should I use to clean my tank, sump, and equipment?
Question 3: Why not clean your previous rocks with RODI water for few days? I have marine pure in my sump.

I love this hobby but this dino is killing me. I have invested a lot of $$$ in my tank.

I would like to keep in touch with you and your restart.

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Mr. ReefBum. I have been following your youtube channel since I started my tank. I am having the same problem with Dino. Nothing is working for me. I have few question for you since you are starting over.

Question 1: Where did you place your fish and corals that you have?
Question 2: What should I use to clean my tank, sump, and equipment?
Question 3: Why not clean your previous rocks with RODI water for few days? I have marine pure in my sump.

I love this hobby but this dino is killing me. I have invested a lot of $$$ in my tank.

I would like to keep in touch with you and your restart.
I removed the corals this weekend and the fish will go next tomorrow. I really wanted to figure out how to keep everything but I didn't want to risk re-introducing the dinos. My plan is to keep the tank dry for a week or two and then run RODI water through the whole system for about another week. I do believe the dry rock was part of the problem so I want to re-start the tank with live rock.

Fr4nkthet4nk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the corals this weekend and the fish will go next tomorrow. I really wanted to figure out how to keep everything but I didn't want to risk re-introducing the dinos. My plan is to keep the tank dry for a week or two and then run RODI water through the whole system for about another week. I do believe the dry rock was part of the problem so I want to re-start the tank with live rock.
What about those beautiful butterfly fish you have?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the reboot. Correlation isn't causation, but I had good luck letting my 'reefsaver' dry rock sit in covered tubs with heat & circulation for a LONG time. Weekly water changes and enough organic matter on the Fiji dry rock that was in there too really helped everything mature, and no light meant no algae growth. They stayed like that for over two months just because the tank wasn't ready for them! Worked out well.

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they pop up when you use dry base rock because there is nothing else in the tank to compete with it I 2 had them for 6 months I finally did a week no lights at all with double the recommended peroxide and no water changes for 2 months it killed it off and has not been back since. there is also a thread on here with people dosing bleach with very good results.

Fr4nkthet4nk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they pop up when you use dry base rock because there is nothing else in the tank to compete with it I 2 had them for 6 months I finally did a week no lights at all with double the recommended peroxide and no water changes for 2 months it killed it off and has not been back since. there is also a thread on here with people dosing bleach with very good results.
I am doing 20ml H2O2 every night. My tank system is about 150 gallons to 160 gallons. So you mean I have to dose 30ml?

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I split it up half in the morning half at night before bed figured it was longer contact time and I actually did 3 weeks black out at the 7th day I turned the lights on just the blues to feed fish and spot feed coral left on for the full day then went back to black out then when I did turn lights back on it was just the blues for a the first week and when I do feed now its sparingly and I only spot feed corals no more broad cast feeding its horrible for a tank

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear this Keith!

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the reboot. Correlation isn't causation, but I had good luck letting my 'reefsaver' dry rock sit in covered tubs with heat & circulation for a LONG time. Weekly water changes and enough organic matter on the Fiji dry rock that was in there too really helped everything mature, and no light meant no algae growth. They stayed like that for over two months just because the tank wasn't ready for them! Worked out well.
Glad that worked out for you.....patience is a virtue in this hobby and it obviously paid off for you.

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are right about that.....my tank started off very sterile in the beginning and there was no competition for the dinos. I have read about the bleach but I would never have the guts to add that to my tank :)

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I was to leave the tank filled with just water for a week or 2 I would dump a gallon of peroxide or some bleach in there to make sure its all destroyed
I would be nervous about doing that.....I am going to keep it all dry for a week or two and then add the RODI and let that run for a week or two. If they come back after that then I will take a long walk off a short pier.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back