N P ratio 16:1 or more can control cyano and dyno

Last edited:

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem when I started with dry rock. There's someone on here, I forgot who, but you can send water samples to him and he can confirm rather it's actually dino or not. In my case, it was not. Anyhow, best of luck on your restart! Your previous tank was such an inspiration and still is.

oneilwiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear Keith, I saw your video on sunday about it, there are times when the reefkeeping is discouraging like how I have to restart as well.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about the dry rock. It seems like it will be easier, but it isn't.

I was also having a dino problem recently that I couldn't kick, using most of the techniques you describe. What finally worked for me was a uv sterilizer hooked right to the display tank. Took a couple weeks. During that time I also worked over the rock with a toothbrush to get the dinos into the water. Not sure if that was necessary or not.

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did u go through Royal exclusiv directly for your sump? Or did u purchase it online? I just got a rough quote from them directly and shipping alone was over a 1000 euros. I want the new roller mat DB, but that's a lot on shipping that's making me rethink the sump.

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem when I started with dry rock. There's someone on here, I forgot who, but you can send water samples to him and he can confirm rather it's actually dino or not. In my case, it was not. Anyhow, best of luck on your restart! Your previous tank was such an inspiration and still is.
Thanks! Yes, dinos were confirmed.

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about the dry rock. It seems like it will be easier, but it isn't.

I was also having a dino problem recently that I couldn't kick, using most of the techniques you describe. What finally worked for me was a uv sterilizer hooked right to the display tank. Took a couple weeks. During that time I also worked over the rock with a toothbrush to get the dinos into the water. Not sure if that was necessary or not.
Interesting. Glad you beat them

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the reboot. :) Is there any particular reason you went with 2 x 24" Spectras instead of 1 x 48" ?
Thanks. I liked the flexibility of centering the two fixtures over my 2 rock islands....and it makes it easier to reach into the tank

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Did u go through Royal exclusiv directly for your sump? Or did u purchase it online? I just got a rough quote from them directly and shipping alone was over a 1000 euros. I want the new roller mat DB, but that's a lot on shipping that's making me rethink the sump.
i went through a retailer but I would recommend going directly through their USA operation. Pm me and I can give u more info

ws6kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks to see that such a beautifully organized setup can still have a crummy problem like this.

Excited to watch your rebuild, but sorry to hear about the trouble! Always makes me nervous seeing something like this.

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks to see that such a beautifully organized setup can still have a crummy problem like this.

Excited to watch your rebuild, but sorry to hear about the trouble! Always makes me nervous seeing something like this.
Thanks. Yes, hope to have new rock and sand in the tank by the end of April. Removed the rock and fish and will take out the sand tomorrow. Stay tuned!

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen-Shot-2017-03-30-at-1.11.52-PM.png

Mattie-KCCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry to this. Tank was stunning. I loved the tour video of the setup.

Are you keeping any of the current coral or fish for the reboot? Or clean slate all together?

OP
OP
ReefBum

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry to this. Tank was stunning. I loved the tour video of the setup.

Are you keeping any of the current coral or fish for the reboot? Or clean slate all together?
Thanks. No, all current coral and fish are gone. A complete clean slate.

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the spores will stay in the rock when left dry after a week soaking in bleach It will kill the spores that are in the rock and wherever else in the tank after the week in bleach water add hydrogen peroxide that will neutralize whatever bleach is left keep adding peroxide until no chlorine shows on a chlorine test strip drain water after a week then rinse with fresh water its that easy and that's how I finally beat it after 2 years

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back