Time well spent: How much time do you watch your fish and corals each day?

How much time do you watch your fish and corals each day?

• I regularly spend a lot of time watching my fish and corals.

Votes: 236 50.8%
  • I occasionally spend a lot of time watching my fish and corals.

Votes: 76 16.3%
  • I normally spend a short amount of time watching my fish and corals.

Votes: 134 28.8%
  • I occasionally spend a short amount of time watching my fish and corals.

Votes: 13 2.8%
  • I rarely stop to watch my fish and corals.

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watch often, and if I'm watching them he's watching me :rolleyes:

20230629_124328.jpg

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sit at my PC creating music most of the day. I also stare at my tank most of the day.

How could I not?

DeskView.jpg

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big tank is behind my desk and a now have a nano planted tank just to the left of my desk, so I watch the reef a lot during down time with work, and I'm sure I'll be just as enamored with my planted tank once I get some live stock in there.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check the tanks every morning before I go to work. Even though the lights aren't on yet. When I get home, there's another good look. When I feed, that's when I get a good idea of how everybody is doing. They know when it's time for dinner, and if someone isn't hungry, I'll get a little concerned.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially wanted my tank in my office. When my wife heard how much it would cost, I was told it needed to be where everyone could enjoy it. So, it’s in the main entertainment area of our basement, which is where we spend most evenings - at least in the part of the year when it’s dark by 7 or 8pm. It’s set so you can watch TV and turn slightly and watch the tank.

I also take breaks from work during the day and check on the tank. Before heading upstairs at the end of the day to get ready for dinner, I’ll sit and look at it for 10-15min. Love it at night in the dark with only the tank lights on watching the fish and corals.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend a lot of time as have two large discus tanks & my reef tank in living room so it's unavoidable.i also test parameters manually so that means more time spent observing.i weirdly enjoy the lack of automation & daily water changes with my discus & try & carry some of that over to saltwater as far as observation being the first step before adjustment.one day I'll get it horribly wrong & drop reef pH to 5.8 & hike discus pH to 8.3!:face-with-tears-of-joy:

Daddio64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of my throne 1st picture. 2nd picture is from my throne you can see the front front row seat and what I use to get in the tank. The cats like that one as well, 3rd picture. The last picture was 11/4/22 two months into re-establishing the tank after a 6 year hiatus from reefing. 1st two pictures this morning.

Attachments

• 20230819_091207.jpg
    20230819_091207.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230819_093406.jpg
    20230819_093406.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20221104_184250.jpg
    20221104_184250.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 30

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 340 gallon in wall display is in the basement family room right next to the home theater screen. I find myself at times watching the tank instead of the show or movies as the lights dim in the evening. I like turning the incandescent light on and seeing what critters are out after dark. It's the only time I see my 4-5" long abalone snail. I also see all the bristle worms out too. On average I usually try to take time 20 minutes 3-4 days a week to observe and relax. Then I find some maintenance I need to do and that interrupts the observe and relax mantra.

Jeffshoe61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon reeftank it is in my bedroom it is my alarm clock at 6 am oh I’m retired also.
I was a Union Pipefitter/ Servicefitter on very large HVAC systems 32 years and the aquarium systems are the same thing , it works the same way, and I have mine all automated with hydros system so yes I mess with it all the time I’m going to get another one for upstairs in living room. I like my fish and coral

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the week we'll watch everyone for a short time while they eat just to make sure everyone is doing okay and leave it at that. However, when we clean the tanks on the weekends we'll spend extra time with everyone, especially the seahorses and our cleaner shrimp. They love to play and hang onto us while we clean. We also handle our blue legged hermit crabs if they come out to greet us.

Most of our fish are friendly and will come up to our hands but only the seahorses and shrimp will engage and play.
Please post video of the sea horses playing/engaging if you can! That sounds super cool. I’ve always loved sea horses but never have kept a low flow tank that would be conducive to keeping one.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I spend at least 15 minutes observing the fish and coral, during feedings. I've caught so many potential problems over the years, taking time each day to inspect. Of course, I embrace any and all opportunities to share the reef with guests, especially the littlest ones, like my friend's new baby daughter here.

Showing Baby the Reef Tank.JPEG

Barncat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I spent more time but my aquarium is currently somewhat boring with a single clownfish in it, a watchman goby that I never see, and a halloween hermit crabs. I get more entertainment out of my hermit crab and snails than I do out of my fish right now.

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend most of my day next to my systems. The koi pond I go out to a few times a day to toss food in and once a week to change water. During the summer that is it in this FL heat, but during cooler months I spend my lunches out there 5 days a week if there is no rain. The 25g reef is on my desk and I work from home so I am always looking at it, especially during meetings that could have been done via email. My 130g reef is in my office in the opposite corner and I am looking at it all the time as well.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe when my GHA goes away I'll spend more time staring in awe :grimacing-face:

Note to self, don't increase lighting intensity without changing the period of time the lights are on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back