OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They haven't been on coral flesh that I've seen. Just the lower skeleton, and even that... only a few, compared to what seem like a 100 or more roaming around the substrate.

I would really like them to be a harmless type of pod, but... I have looked through dozens of illustrations and haven't seen anything that matches, even remotely. Essentially all the Copepod and Amphipod images show they are translucent from what I can tell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure I have "black bugs" but they don't bother any of my corals, they mostly crawl around rock and eat algae and microfauna I assume.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with Interceptor as there are two, I asked for Interceptor for coral and the dog takes Interceptor Plus.

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three videos that show the tiny black creatures on my white PVC fittings. They are difficult to identify, so look closely. Unfortunately, I don’t have a proper camera to obtain better images or videos.

As I stated in post #20, I notice them only on tiles and white PVC fittings. I never see them on glass, and I never see them on corals, which have great polyp extension and don’t appear to be bothered.

By the way, the final two videos appear to be the same based upon the thumbnail, but they are slightly different.

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES!

In the second video especially. That's what I've got. Have you positively identified these things?

Again, my two corals didn't seem bothered, and the critters were just on the lower skeleton (and rocks, and shells, etc.) not on the glass that I can see.

If it's nothing to worry about, I'm game on. Diversity doesn't bother me, but I don't want to keep adding corals to a bad tank!

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you positively identified these things?
Unfortunately, I have not.

Honestly, like most hobbyists that see unidentified critters around corals, they freaked me out when I initially noticed them. However, I haven’t felt the need to further investigate since I see them only on tiles and PVC fittings. If I notice them causing issues, then I will take additional steps.

Since I have an SPS grow-out system, I check on things daily, and have yet to see issues likely caused by them. I hope that may give you some peace of mind. This hobby can quickly go from fun to worrisome when you spot unidentified life scurrying around.

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No kidding. I'm over here thinking my very first coral purchases have infected the tank with the worst pests known. Not a great feeling.

Sounds like just live and let live for now. I'll move the LPS to the DT again and see what happens.

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you have? I wonder if a wrasse would eliminate them or keep their population controlled. I will be moving everything from my current system into the frag system that I’m setting up. I’ll be adding a Six-Line wrasse and my juvenile Tomini tang. I have no doubts that the Six-Line will have an impact on the population in my system.

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a linespot flasher and a Lubbock's fairy, plus a fang blenny. The fairy in particular pecks at the rockwork, but I can't tell if there's any impact to the population. I have been wanting to get a dragonet, but who knows if they would eat them...

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a linespot flasher and a Lubbock's fairy, plus a fang blenny. The fairy in particular pecks at the rockwork, but I can't tell if there's any impact to the population. I have been wanting to get a dragonet, but who knows if they would eat them...
I have a Walsh’s Fairy Wrasse that doesn’t peck at anything. It waits for pellets. I suspect that it’s behaviors are not impacting the population much, if at all.

Have you sat and watched the wrasse to see if it’s actively consuming the black inverts?

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you sat and watched the wrasse to see if it’s actively consuming the black inverts?

I haven’t, but as you know, these things are too small to really spot on the rocks, and the wrasse doesn’t graze the sand... so not much to see. The tank is too small and passive to consider adding anything that is a known predator (Or a six line - jerks!)

Plan to wait a week or so and see what the DT population looks like. If moderate or depleted, then move things back over and cross my fingers it’s all harmless.

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I introduced an assassin, a spotted Mandarin. I can't confirm any of his kills, but the population of the little black UFOs has diminished remarkably. Still no SPS in the tank, so I can't rule out starvation or other possible reasons, but it seems to be a non issue regardless.

Added some zoas and acans that are doing well... No black crawlies on them that I can see.

Back