Tiny GFO Carbon Reactor?

Big Mistake

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2020
Messages
88
Reaction score
47
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add a "reactor" to my 10 gallon Waterbox tank.

I have taken a small pump, added a section of tubing, put some GFO in the tubing, added filter material to both ends, and let it run in the tank.

I doubt that bags of GFO/carbon/etc really help much due only the surface having contact with the water.

Putting GFL/carbon/etc into the filter sock ... is less than desirable too.

Sort of looked for a tiny "pump filter" on Amazon.

Any other ideas?

Maybe a 3D printer to print a tiny reactor?

Now that would be a ...

-Big Mistake
 
I would like to add a "reactor" to my 10 gallon Waterbox tank.

I have taken a small pump, added a section of tubing, put some GFO in the tubing, added filter material to both ends, and let it run in the tank.

I doubt that bags of GFO/carbon/etc really help much due only the surface having contact with the water.

Putting GFL/carbon/etc into the filter sock ... is less than desirable too.

Sort of looked for a tiny "pump filter" on Amazon.

Any other ideas?

Maybe a 3D printer to print a tiny reactor?

Now that would be a ...

-Big Mistake
With some successive water changes you could quickly lower Phosphate levels. With 10 gallons it may well be worth managing the challenge that way.

If you do run GFO in 10 gallons you'd really need only a small amount to reduce Phsophate. I'm not all that familiar with waterbox setup so I'll make a suggestion based on how I manage.

Instead of a GFO reactor (I already run a carbon reactor) I just use a media bag. That bag is placed in the incoming sump flow where the water is made to filter through the media and the bag. Originally I had placed the bag just in the water column where the water would indirectly move through the bag but I found that wasn't effective. At any rate, if the waterbox setup has a place you could place a small amount of GFO in a flow area that perhaps could be a low cost option for you.
 
I made one out of a water filter housing. I put a small 12v dc pump straight into the bottom and it runs off a 12vdc power supply, like a cctv supply. I have put a piece of sponge then gfo then carbon and repeated until the desired level is reached then another sponge. I am running 65 grams of gfo atm and it drops the PO4 by a few ppm daily. I will be upping the gfo at the end of the month when I change the gfo and carbon to reduce it more. It work really well and you can source a smaller housing I am sure.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5268.jpg
    IMG_5268.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_5270.jpg
    IMG_5270.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 149
  • GFO.jpg
    GFO.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 176
forgot to mention if there is no room in the aio sump they sell a mounting bracket so you could mount the canister like a HOB and have the pump and return in the sump. the rodi water fitting are great for this
 
Well ... the extra pump raised the tank temperature 2 degrees from 78 to 80 and the corals seemed not to like that.

I had thought about a small hang on filter but size matters.

When I set this tank up thought hard about drilling it so I could do continuous water changes.

There are cheap 2 channel dosing pumps on Amazon for $60 so just two 5-gallon buckets.

I still wonder if bare bottom is the problem. Something about an O2 depleted sand layer.

Keep thinking adding sand, CaribSea Ocean Direct.

I added some Tuxedo Urchins ... claimed they eat algae ... only eat Coraline Algae best I can tell.

I don't think a 1.5 inch Lawnmower Blenny is going to help. Probably only eats brine shrimp.

Tank is fishless and the Anemone gets feed every two weeks or so very little nutrient input.

This algae issue came in with a purchase.

So the Hanna Ultra Low Phosphate meter is claiming 0.00 down from 0.09 eight days ago and 0.07 four days ago. So maybe a day of the "reactor" running worked.

Might be in Florida, guess some sand and water will be an experiment.

End up introducing the creature from the Black Lagoon and that would be a ...

-Big Mistake
 
In a 10G I wouldn't even mess with a reactor unless you can't seem to control it with a media bag. Much less to deal with and can't imagine a huge nutrition problem in a 10 with the limited # of fish likely in it.

However reactors are "fun" if that's part of the intent to tinker. I like to K.I.S.S. where ever possible
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new