Tiny sump?

dopey

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 24, 2018
Messages
284
Reaction score
287
Location
Sweden
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a Yasha Medic(build there here). It's a 37L tank the dimensions of the tank are 30x40x40.

There is a plastic divider making the display half 30x30x30. Behind that is the skimmer/pump/heater/etc. Typical AIO.

IMG_20181104_215257.jpg

My idea was to build a tiny sump in the bottom of the stand. I think it would end up being 20x25x25. This would end up being pretty tiny, bit over 3 gallons or 12.5Liters.

This would let me take out the divider and make the entire top a display. As well increase water volume by 35%.

Would it be worth doing? Assume i'll need to have a local shop make a custom tank, as I can't imagine i'll find anything that small commercially available.

Only two concerns so far:
1.) The back section has two pieces of glass going between the backwall/plastic divider. I assume if I emptied the tank some, a simple razor blade make it easy to remove them?
2.) Are HOB overflows reliable?
 
I don't think it's a bad idea but IMO, I don't think it's worth all the work. But a cool project so I'll follow. I like the way AIO tanks are designed. I've never had an issue with a hob overflow but I would choose the AIO over the overflow.
 
i don’t think it would be worth shutting down the entire system and messing with the back divider. one wrong move and you’ll be buying a new tank. it looks nice as it is!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new