OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this came today... it's going to be awhile before I can post more exciting pictures as the tank won't be here until this year. But until then, my favorite LED light of all time!!!

KessilA360X.jpg

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would STRONGLY advise you to look into a closed loop system to provide flow. Its cleaner, cheaper, and requires zero maintenance. The latter being the really good part. You will spend enough time cleaning your gyres. For regular sized tanks they don't make a lot of sense, for huge tanks, they are fantastic.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would STRONGLY advise you to look into a closed loop system to provide flow. Its cleaner, cheaper, and requires zero maintenance. The latter being the really good part. You will spend enough time cleaning your gyres. For regular sized tanks they don't make a lot of sense, for huge tanks, they are fantastic.

Yeah, unlike my original plan, this one will be acrylic so I feel slightly less nervous about multiple holes being drilled. I have been thinking about it for sure. However, I'm having trouble visualizing how I would be able to integrate it into my idea for a more open aquascape.

My plan is to anchor the scape with minimal cultured live rock as a base and then putting in a lot of branched tonga rock (Tropic Eden, Life Rock etc) for three-dimensional complexity without bulk or waterflow impedence, no higher than 18" out of 48" total height. My inspiration I guess would be a combo of bonsai minimalist styles and the staghorn forests that used to be common off the Florida coast, with a greater open water to scape ratio than a lot of tanks I see. I guess I would need to see some examples of how one could hide intake/outlet pipes without having to add lots of visual bulk.

Does that make sense?

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kind of sort of.. I should snap some pictures of my scape and close loop.. I'm mid project however so it is LOW on the priority list. Depending on what kind of fish you want to have, you have to have some caves and hiding places for them. Many of these table tanks I see look neat (albeit totally unnatural) but they don't have squat for fish habitat. Fish get freaked out if they don't have cover.

I have a 5,000 GPH jebao DC pump that is hooked up to a 6 way ocean motion device that "fires" two ports at once. They are 1" bulkheads. My scape is a series or islands..or rows of islands. The CL outlets are just 45 degree elbows that get tucked into the rockwork at the base of one island and blow across the open space to the adjacent island. You can hide the outlets really effectively with small rocks. I have a pair of xf350 up top as well. The CL just really allows you to get flow in places that you could never get with a conventional powerhead. It is much more than a powerhead which grabs adjacent water and shoots it out at speed. You are grabbing water from one location in your tank and putting it into an entirely different space... which creates lots of "sub currents". No maintenance and UTTERLY silent. Like "is this thing on?" silent.

For a peninsula.. dude.. for sure.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kind of sort of.. I should snap some pictures of my scape and close loop.. I'm mid project however so it is LOW on the priority list. Depending on what kind of fish you want to have, you have to have some caves and hiding places for them. Many of these table tanks I see look neat (albeit totally unnatural) but they don't have squat for fish habitat. Fish get freaked out if they don't have cover.

I have a 5,000 GPH jebao DC pump that is hooked up to a 6 way ocean motion device that "fires" two ports at once. They are 1" bulkheads. My scape is a series or islands..or rows of islands. The CL outlets are just 45 degree elbows that get tucked into the rockwork at the base of one island and blow across the open space to the adjacent island. You can hide the outlets really effectively with small rocks. I have a pair of xf350 up top as well. The CL just really allows you to get flow in places that you could never get with a conventional powerhead. It is much more than a powerhead which grabs adjacent water and shoots it out at speed. You are grabbing water from one location in your tank and putting it into an entirely different space... which creates lots of "sub currents". No maintenance and UTTERLY silent. Like "is this thing on?" silent.

For a peninsula.. dude.. for sure.

This is the idea I have for my scape to show you what I was trying to say:

Tiny Scape.jpg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea! Caribsea makes a really good branch rock, if you're interested :)
Also, on the Caribsea note, something cool to do could be having a cliff-like formation kind of "burst" out of the branches, like a fallen peice of reef or such. :O
I'll make a mock-up of it in a second.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is going to be epic!
So I am guessing this is going to be a reef and not a FOWLR system?
if so anthying over 30" I think would be a pain. unless do you have a good way to get in the tank to glue down frags and pick up the one the fish broke off.

IMHO if going taller I would just to a FOWLR system. lots of really cool fish for that option.

next I LOVE the placement! that is where I would add a huge tank too if I was building from the ground up.

I 2nd the closed loop idea.

good luck!

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is going to be epic!
So I am guessing this is going to be a reef and not a FOWLR system?
if so anthying over 30" I think would be a pain. unless do you have a good way to get in the tank to glue down frags and pick up the one the fish broke off.

IMHO if going taller I would just to a FOWLR system. lots of really cool fish for that option.

next I LOVE the placement! that is where I would add a huge tank too if I was building from the ground up.

I 2nd the closed loop idea.

good luck!

Thanks and yes, I definitely plan on doing some snorkeling during maintenance LoL :cool:

Still on the fence about the closed loops... we'll see what happens.

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your scape needs more negative space, but that is just my opinion..and I realize it is a drawing. I added 400lbs of sand and 100gallons of water in my tank last night and of course, now it is all cloudy so I couldn't get pictures.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your scape needs more negative space, but that is just my opinion..and I realize it is a drawing. I added 400lbs of sand and 100gallons of water in my tank last night and of course, now it is all cloudy so I couldn't get pictures.

Ain't that just the way it goes haha. Anyways, regarding negative space, I figured there'd be more variability in height depending on the size and shape of the pieces I get.

Also, my idea was to have a fair amount of negative space horizontally as well in the bends of the "S" curve scape shape that I'm planning.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your scape needs more negative space, but that is just my opinion..and I realize it is a drawing. I added 400lbs of sand and 100 gallons of water in my tank last night and of course, now it is all cloudy so I couldn't get pictures.

I agree with needing more negative space. Maybe try some overhangs? I would also separate the scape into 2 bommies, it would add a ton more character to the overall scape.

Another mock up:
(the colored bits represent places for coral)

UntitleHELPd.png

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I'm struggling and need some help and advice:

After sending quotes to pretty much every seemingly reputable custom tank manufacturer that I could find mention on here, so far, I have gotten wildly disparate numbers quoted back to me. The price spread has been on the order of $45,000:eek::eek::eek::eek: between the lowest and highest options. And no, Reef Savvy has not gotten back to me yet, so it wasn't them.

There are a couple things that I've noticed:

1) Many ppl recommend acrylic, however apparently, material prices for acrylic have been on the upswing according to a couple builders and therefore acrylic of this size is exponentially more expensive right now.

2) Many ppl recommend acrylic due to weight savings, however once the tank is installed (on concrete slab foundation) and filled with water, the weight becomes a non-issue in my mind.

3) The super-high quote was for a glass tank, and the builder suggested that at the dimensions I wanted, they would have to use laminated glass. Another builder recommended stainless steel reinforced seams and framing for less cost. Who's right? I don't want to be "cheap" and then have a panel blow out 1000-gallons+ water all over the living room.

4) Does the increased cost of acrylic justify the benefits of using that material over a reinforced frame glass tank?

I'm really struggling here you guys, as this is a lot of money and I don't want to make a poor choice and regret it later on...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back