Tips and Tricks on Creating Amazing Aquascapes.

Lawrence Pan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have so far, what are your thoughts?

E03C7C72-D359-44FE-A925-B365AE0CE4E7.jpeg

IvoryReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sold on rock work that has equal flow around all sides. It makes controlling nutrients soooo much easier. Plus it’s harder to accomplish a nice look. I like the challenge [emoji846]

markfmvl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sold on rock work that has equal flow around all sides. It makes controlling nutrients soooo much easier. Plus it’s harder to accomplish a nice look. I like the challenge [emoji846]
387454c5b086ed0b8a45efb9840ae094.jpg

That large shell has an interesting story behind it. I actually found it next to a fence, partially covered with leaves, in the parking lot of the apartment I was living in while going to college in the early 80's. Probably shortly after getting into the salt water hobby. It has had a prominent place in my tanks since then. Like many of you, I am still learning about aquascaping. This is a lot better balanced than my old 55. I found the wider footprint of the 90 makes that process easier.

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had posted in this thread back in May and forgot all about it. At the time I was about to remove my dsb because it was a cyano factory. Some asked about whether I couldn't just get rid of the cyano using the usual nutrient export methods. I have a gfo reactor, skimmer and and plenty of cuc. Dr. Tim's Waste Away/Re-Fresh were successful for a time but became ineffective. Even he said to ditch the dsb when I met him. I do water changes every 1 -2 weeks, never less frequently. I also only feed once a day, and not what I believe to be too much. Since removing the dsb, I haven't had any cyano whatsoever and overall quite happy I removed it. Here's an updated picture with revised aquascaping that is the same general layout.
IMG_20171111_112749.jpg

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DSB acts like a kitchen sponge, absorbing a lot of the bad stuff in your tank and keeping it looking beautiful.

But like a kitchen sponge, once it is saturated it can't absorb any more and the waste just accumulates.

Lol, picture carrying the wet sponge back to the sink.
[emoji6]

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly, though I had expected the dsb to be full of gunk and smelly when I removed it, it was completely clean and didn't smell. I was always adding pods, bristleworms, mysids, gammarus and replenishing snails throughout the year.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started getting into this hobby and seeing how others arrange their rockworks and you tend to follow suit but then over the years I came to realize that why can't I create something that's more realistic and as natural as possible. Watched and saw a lot of actual oceanic documentaries (National Geographic & BBC) and also how corals are seen in their natural habitat and placement as well.
Leave as much as nooks and crevices for movements be it water, fish or corals. Leave as much space as possible in between any corals as I've noticed a lot of small frags placed so close to each other that in a short while theres going to be a major coral warfare waiting to happen. Plan accordingly & visualize during the initial stage and take into consideration on how corals are going eventually to grow out.

robbie8691

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost finished I will be taking the middle rock out and will be adding in another shelf piece in the center slightly higher than the left shelf
58A0F921-3DD2-4345-9BA7-E6E053ADC610.jpeg
4BBC596B-72A7-4271-859E-5DA82C3D54CC.jpeg
any ideas would be great

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll admit to being partial to the lower, "tri-bommie" 'scape. Lots of room for swimmers, plenty of obstacles to navigate, intricate places for a fish being picked on to seek shelter, and at the same time, plenty of places to raise corals into the light.

~Bruce

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First scape 2.jpg
First scape 2.jpg
New Scape..jpg
O.K. Critique me scape.

Top or bottom scape.
Bottom scape gives 1 more cave or diversion.

I am a huge fan of "more rock is good."

Stingrays and dog sharks and garden eels need a lot of sand.
Everything else lives in and around the rocks.
Even sand gobies make their homes in the sand next to a rock.

Underwater sandscapes are just as much of a desert as above water sandscapes.
Certain things do live in them, but they are called a desert for a reason.

Oil rigs in the Gulf are one of the best examples of this, where fish gravitate towards structure.

Leave enough room to comfortably clean the glass.
Otherwise, more rock.

Make it so the fish rather hide at the bottom of the tank in the rock rather than jump out of this ridiculous empty sterile pool that screams danger to them.

"Extra swimming room" is one of the silliest phrases used.
[emoji53]

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some these scapes are absolutely awesome.

I do think there needs to be a good compromise between some of these minimalist aquascapes and the needs of the fish. I wonder how the fish in some of these tanks with little cover act? I guess once the corals grow in there will be more structures.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's see some more! :D

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some these scapes are absolutely awesome.

I do think there needs to be a good compromise between some of these minimalist aquascapes and the needs of the fish. I wonder how the fish in some of these tanks with little cover act? I guess once the corals grow in there will be more structures.
You make a very good point. I recall reading a lot about the need for caves and hiding places when I was 'scaping. Definitely needed when adding new fish.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this aquascape look? I didn't really want to go with the wall of rocks look but this was the only thing i could come up with that looked good and used enough rocks. Wanted to make sure to provide enough hiding spots for fish and stuff. What do you guys think?
2211c349a2c3a2bfd67826af09b7284c.jpg
5f5b6cfd0df0b9e442fb4bfe37f54bbc.jpg
d4ff7daa291db6a39f2bee4ee3926d4e.jpg

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this aquascape look? I didn't really want to go with the wall of rocks look but this was the only thing i could come up with that looked good and used enough rocks. Wanted to make sure to provide enough hiding spots for fish and stuff. What do you guys think?
2211c349a2c3a2bfd67826af09b7284c.jpg
5f5b6cfd0df0b9e442fb4bfe37f54bbc.jpg
d4ff7daa291db6a39f2bee4ee3926d4e.jpg

If you like the wall look then it is great. If that isn't the look you were going for I would try again. I prefer 2 or three islands with caves and swim through areas. Browse through this thread or look for videos on you tube to get ideas. Im am never happy with my first creation and it usually takes a few attempts until I am happy.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some tanks require the "wall" style - 55-gallons come to mind... How deep is your tank, front-to-back?

If you can set yourself up with multiple, separated structures, you'll find that your fish will often claim one such, and stick to that one. With a wall, they sometimes seem to feel a need to claim the entire structure, which can lead to friction. You can also add dimension _within_ each structure, providing places to dodge an aggressor or catch some zzz's.

~Bruce

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back