Tips and Tricks on Creating Amazing Aquascapes.

nursedude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, you can plan how you want the lay out and it will still change once you add it to the tank. I epoxied some pieces into island shapes before adding them to the tank, then merged those. This allowed a more natural look. I jig-saw-puzzled things together so it didn't look so "stacked" and shied away from the sloping from front to back. By building islands I created lots of caves and crevices for swimming. This is about 80lbs of dry BRS, and Fiji. (This picture is AWFUL, I totally know, cell phone, early-day, tons of blue, just trying to show aqauscape). I like a natural looking tank, personal preference, whatever you like you should do.

Aquascape fish tank end 2017.JPG
Sorry this picture is even worse uploaded, I tried...

Chris Baker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback and the welcome! I can’t wait for the move. I have to admit that I still like my vision for that leaning piece but you are all echoing my inner voice that tells me it wouldn’t quite work.

Mack85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I amazed after reading these wonderful guidance. I am custom aquarium builder & this article will help me lot. Hope for more tips.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok looking for some advice. here are some photos from different angles of my first attempts. I am unsure about the rock I had placed in the middle in front of the overflow so I also tried it standing up off to the left making a longer swim through behind the left structure. Let me know what you all think and which placement you prefer. Thank you.
5C476E58-AB15-4D12-B3B8-405E921B43B5.jpeg
7D5517AD-3BA7-4B1F-BE03-121D22980835.jpeg
8A1E17C3-454D-496F-B477-67DF78179557.jpeg
47F8D8C8-50F7-4894-9965-45BD780AB21E.jpeg
2682D705-A9AD-446D-BC84-6513F7CA1E1D.jpeg
8A1E17C3-454D-496F-B477-67DF78179557.jpeg

D434747D-F0D1-4E35-898B-E9DDB4BED9D3.jpeg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaning against the other rock, it offers more refuge for fish. Standing alone, it offers a place to put something like xenia or GSP.

Which is of higher value for you?

~Bruce, liking the 'scape overall, either way

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaning against the other rock, it offers more refuge for fish. Standing alone, it offers a place to put something like xenia or GSP.

Which is of higher value for you?

~Bruce, liking the 'scape overall, either way

Good point Bruce. I have a couple more pieces of rock from my current tank that I will be adding later so I may use one of those for a softy island.

Like them all. Love the swim thru. Hard to tell but be sure there are enough crevices for the fish types you plan to keep.

Yes it is hard to tell from the photos, but there are plenty of caves and swim thru areas for the fish. One of the challenges is trying to envision the tank several years down the road when the corals grow out. Thank you both for your input.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some feedback ideas for rock work. I took it out of the barrels to pressure wash and decided to stack a few pieces up. Sort of how I want it to look. Here are 3 views. The tall section is going near the back corner. 3 power heads will move water thru openings in the rock work. I have some more pieces that are not used in this layout Any suggestions before I start over again?
O_Marco_rock5.jpg
O_Marco_rock6.jpg
O_Marco_rock7.jpg
?

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you do a shot as if you are standing dead center of your tank to get an idea from the front of the overall look. Hard to get my bearings. Also size of tank. Looks to be huge.

ReefPress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know anything that will work with already wet rock. I completed my scape and wanted to add some stuff.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some scaping ideas for a 125 dual mega overflow. Overflows are 5" deep. If I leave a min of 3 inches from front glass and 2" from overflow, that leaves me 7 inches in those areas in front of overflow boxes. Tank size is 72x18x22 approx. Top and bottom frame take away 1" from each dimension. Here is my cardboard mockup. Hope to order rocks in a couple weeks.

Thinking of leaving more open sand at each end for low light, low flow. Might be able to do rock island in back corner and sand in front and along side of glass and start the main scape from overflow on. Overflows have an inner and outer section. Outer allows water to seep in through vents that are low and mid of front of overflow box, rise to top and trickle into main overflow. So do not want to block those vents. I don't think...
20180103_174904.jpg

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know anything that will work with already wet rock. I completed my scape and wanted to add some stuff.

gel superglue, epoxy for gluing frags to rock--the stuff in clear tubes that you cut and knead.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you do a shot as if you are standing dead center of your tank to get an idea from the front of the overall look. Hard to get my bearings. Also size of tank. Looks to be huge.

The tank is 5x5x3. It will be viewed from 2 adjacent sides. I will shoot some more pictures at dawn. Not enough moon light now.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a lot of tips from here, I am mostly finished with my scape. But since I assume a lot of the people on this thread are scape experts, I’d like to here what they think and maybe what I could put in the middle! The hit the 4th crosspoint for focal points I’m going to put a rock on magnets up there, but still unsure for the middle. I am thinking about a clam, elegance, or another rock structure.
881f7176ffd8b647aa2b9cc50ca3ec9a.jpg

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tdileo what is your goal for the tank?
Mainly fish?
Corals down low on Sand?
Do you have an idea/vision of what you are going for?
A tall tower makes it hard to place corals I'd think or limits what you can add to your display.
And you've only got 2 caves or hideouts for your fish. Is that enough?

I'm not a minimilist when it comes to rockscapes so I'm probably not the right person to give an opinion but I did have questions.

Also, is that enough rock for filtration? Are you planning to put a lot in your sump?

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tdileo what is your goal for the tank?
Mainly fish?
Corals down low on Sand?
Do you have an idea/vision of what you are going for?
A tall tower makes it hard to place corals I'd think or limits what you can add to your display.
And you've only got 2 caves or hideouts for your fish. Is that enough?

I'm not a minimilist when it comes to rockscapes so I'm probably not the right person to give an opinion but I did have questions.

Also, is that enough rock for filtration? Are you planning to put a lot in your sump?

Not sure exactly what you mean by my goal but I’m thinking you mean what kind of corals? It’s going to be SPS dominated. My plan for fish is to stock light-medium with mostly small fish, none bigger than say 6” and most in the 3-4” range. In my sump I’m going to have a MarinePure block, they say the 1” one is enough to replace ~100 pounds of rock, but of course I will keep a little extra rock in the fuge and like 55 in the display.

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was such a helpful article! I used exactly this to create my scape! Not sure its perfect, but I am happy so far! (Sorry - sand dust is still settling from yesterday).
IMG_4148.JPG

Here is how I got there:
IMG_3874.JPG

I ended up changing quite a bit but the same concept! Love my big branch in the back, just hoping I can find a cool coral to encrust it! :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job folks!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back