Tips and Tricks on Creating Amazing Aquascapes.

Discussion in 'Aquascape Discussion' started by Veganbrian, Sep 27, 2012.

1. dowsetts101

dowsetts101 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

This is my first tank Marc and I really was tooing and frooing on whether to use Live Rock or the Real Reef Rock...

Not knowing anything else, I’m really happy with the Real Reef Rock so far...I reckon it looks pretty good. Just need a bit more to finish the scape off

2. Daltrey

Daltrey Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

My second attempt :)

20180115_170742.jpg

3. juniorrocketdad

juniorrocketdad Member

Honestly I like the first attempt better, the two distinct islands allow better flow and will provide a much more unique looks when corals are added

4. Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Okay, I'm not done, still have another 40 lbs of rock coming next week but thought I'd post what I've got so far. It will most likely come down but I can see if the overall design works. Right side is just rock I had left. So large left section, single pc, and smaller right. I have empty back corners. Could put a single rock there or angle rock back slightly or leave it. If I shift main pc to the right, it would be visible from front. I'm leaving 2-3 inches around--enough for the suction tube of the water change hose.

The difficulty with this tank is the twin overflows. They don't leave much room for a deep rock scape if you want to have room around and allow flow into the overflows (there are vents low and middle as well as the weir at top). I could do the main set of rocks in the middle and smaller islands at each end. I did manage to get some nice terraces on the left. I may cement some of that side together--left side and bottom. Rest can be recreated

The single pc of pukani is sort of arrowhead shapped. I'm planning on gsp on main body, palm cloves on top rock and a leather toadstool on the very top as I don't think the cloves will bother it. I'd like something else on the bottom but not anything that will spread like xenia.

So what do you think? What would you suggest. 20180119_173704.jpg
    20180119_173814.jpg

NY_Caveman likes this.
  5. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

reefcleaners typically carries barnacle clusters in different sizes.

6. bartholomew33

bartholomew33 Member

Break it into pieces

7. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I’m pretty happy with this scape for my 5’ reefer 525xl. No tangs, 25+ fish under 4”. Gobies, anthias, wrasse, royal grammas, firefish, chromis.

The rocks are laid out for lots of hiding spots and swim throughs as well as coral.

The left side will get a height advantage with sps coral selection.

The large top right plate will be low profile sps.

80 lbs of reefcleaners base rock and approximately 30 lbs of Tonga plate.

The blue tape represents 3” in from the glass.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

norfolkgarden and NY_Caveman like this.
  8. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman Cave Dweller R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Nice aquascape and smart on the tape. I have done the same with 2” planning my 30 gallon. Good for both flow and glass cleaning.

Susan Edwards and mta_morrow like this.
  9. thewedge

thewedge Member

All these great looking tanks are making me wish I could upgrade my 65 to a 150 and start over! #jealous

10. Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Here is my hopefully final arrangement. Might need to add some pcs of live rock from one of my other tanks to seed it. Not sure if it can just go into sump or if some has to go into the display as well which will look funny with spanking new rock and live rock. Goal was to follow flow of returns--from outside to inside, lots of crevices and swim throughs, some big enough for tangs, and as much terrace effect for corals as I could. My other tank is more wall and harder to place corals.
    20180125_005342.jpg 20180125_005557.jpg 20180125_005611.jpg

norfolkgarden and NY_Caveman like this.
  11. Johniejumbo

Johniejumbo Active Member

Great. No I gotta go rearrange my rock work. After looking at some of these mine looks like I just poured a bucket of rocks in my tank blindfolded.

12. mta_morrow

Final scape! Tank gets set on the stand Tuesday night! Then it’s time to get real busy!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. juniorrocketdad

juniorrocketdad Member

I like it, lots of room for easy coral placement

norfolkgarden and mta_morrow like this.
  14. saf1

saf1 Well-Known Member

Here is mine. I am actually working on getting better photos because it isn't showing the depth. Tank is 54" W x 30" T and 30" D. The tank is visible from the left side and front. Right side is overflow. 150 lbs of dry Pukani and 200 lbs of CaribSea sand. In the back half of the tank are 3 bags of Florida CaribSea with two bags of pink Fiji in front. Fish have lots of swim lanes and I still have some rock to move from my 40 breeder. We'll see if they make it and if so where.

20180130_074622.jpg

norfolkgarden and Chris Baker like this.
  15. Joe Batt

Joe Batt Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I like it, however, for my eye the pyramid-shaped rock (second from the right as we look at the picture) blocks the area behind and in effect makes the tank look smaller. Anything you put behind that rock will be hidden and thus the space is wasted

16. saf1

saf1 Well-Known Member

@Joe Batt - great input and you are correct. I wasn't sure what to do with that rock honestly. I thought about placing it on top of the rock just behind it about 2'oclock. That would give me a opening should I want to add a clam. Although after reading a few of the threads in that sub forum, and some of the size clams I saw, I may not put one in. I didn't know they got that back in captive aquaria! Thank you for the feedback, appreciate it. I'll take another look at that rock this afternoon since I'll be placing some epoxy on the rocks that got a bit tumble happy.

17. Joe Batt

Remember you don't 'have' to use it, putting it in the sump is still filtration. Less is more sometimes more.

18. Streetdoc77

Streetdoc77 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Mine from start to finish on 30 inch tall tank . Spent a lot of time getting it right.

53F6D0E0-67E5-4158-8EB8-BFD8090409D0.jpeg

CF161551-8A6D-473E-9117-F900CF19E80E.jpeg

19. Joe Batt

Very nice! Can see you thought about the coral shadowing corals below even from the start. What was the time between the first picture and the last?

Streetdoc77 likes this.
  20. Retroreef

Retroreef Member

Agreed on all points. Good stuff