Tips and Tricks on Creating Amazing Aquascapes.

dowsetts101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that a few posts above mine is use real reef rock, big fan of the product. I used it in my tank for the first time and will never use anything else

This is my first tank Marc and I really was tooing and frooing on whether to use Live Rock or the Real Reef Rock...

Not knowing anything else, I’m really happy with the Real Reef Rock so far...I reckon it looks pretty good. Just need a bit more to finish the scape off

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My second attempt :)

20180115_170742.jpg

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'm not done, still have another 40 lbs of rock coming next week but thought I'd post what I've got so far. It will most likely come down but I can see if the overall design works. Right side is just rock I had left. So large left section, single pc, and smaller right. I have empty back corners. Could put a single rock there or angle rock back slightly or leave it. If I shift main pc to the right, it would be visible from front. I'm leaving 2-3 inches around--enough for the suction tube of the water change hose.

The difficulty with this tank is the twin overflows. They don't leave much room for a deep rock scape if you want to have room around and allow flow into the overflows (there are vents low and middle as well as the weir at top). I could do the main set of rocks in the middle and smaller islands at each end. I did manage to get some nice terraces on the left. I may cement some of that side together--left side and bottom. Rest can be recreated

The single pc of pukani is sort of arrowhead shapped. I'm planning on gsp on main body, palm cloves on top rock and a leather toadstool on the very top as I don't think the cloves will bother it. I'd like something else on the bottom but not anything that will spread like xenia.

So what do you think? What would you suggest.
20180119_173704.jpg

20180119_173814.jpg

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ! Barnacles are tough to find especially at LFS. I go mine thru various online vendors that sell them. I think barnacles are natural homes for some blennies one of my favorites. They certainly do like making the barnacles their home from when I witnessed them in my 29 gal bio cube
reefcleaners typically carries barnacle clusters in different sizes.

bartholomew33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 5x5x3.
The tank will be anemones w/clowns, gobies, jawfish and a few urchins and maybe a clam or 2 and some other soft wavy stuff. The open spots in the front sides will have some sort of structure buried in the sand allowing for deeper sand for the jawfish. Hope they get the hint.
I made a frame to replicate the tank. It will go into the wall. 2 adjacent sides are visible.
I plan on drilling and sculpting some more holes thru the rock. It will sit on a pvc framework. I will drill holes and hold it together with pvc pipe, so no rockslides.
First is the hallway at eye level then hallway from above.
FtHall.JPG
FtHall_overhead.JPG

Next is around the corner into the living room. Eye level then from above.
FtLiving.JPG
FtLiving_overhead.JPG

Last is a shot of the front corner from above.
FtCorner.JPG

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this better?
Thanks in advance

Break it into pieces

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty happy with this scape for my 5’ reefer 525xl. No tangs, 25+ fish under 4”. Gobies, anthias, wrasse, royal grammas, firefish, chromis.

The rocks are laid out for lots of hiding spots and swim throughs as well as coral.

The left side will get a height advantage with sps coral selection.

The large top right plate will be low profile sps.

80 lbs of reefcleaners base rock and approximately 30 lbs of Tonga plate.

The blue tape represents 3” in from the glass.

3a04c7996839d0a413ec5ae1b9a6895f.jpg
ed5ddeef9d8227721f15fa57018efbd9.jpg

1f1a2edb3f4e44ca7182ee6a35eb9f99.jpg
f8f50b1eb0d4a45b931481ae34854803.jpg
ac03dbcaf808d7f3f222142d605cd732.jpg
e47ff7942c5ddb1fb0550e2e0e27cbcc.jpg
9a16fd535f629e0b9fd21b767a9530b5.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty happy with this scape for my 5’ reefer 525xl. No tangs, 25+ fish under 4”. Gobies, anthias, wrasse, royal grammas, firefish, chromis.

The rocks are laid out for lots of hiding spots and swim throughs as well as coral.

The left side will get a height advantage with sps coral selection.

The large top right plate will be low profile sps.

80 lbs of reefcleaners base rock and approximately 30 lbs of Tonga plate.

The blue tape represents 3” in from the glass.

3a04c7996839d0a413ec5ae1b9a6895f.jpg
ed5ddeef9d8227721f15fa57018efbd9.jpg

1f1a2edb3f4e44ca7182ee6a35eb9f99.jpg
f8f50b1eb0d4a45b931481ae34854803.jpg
ac03dbcaf808d7f3f222142d605cd732.jpg
e47ff7942c5ddb1fb0550e2e0e27cbcc.jpg
9a16fd535f629e0b9fd21b767a9530b5.jpg

Nice aquascape and smart on the tape. I have done the same with 2” planning my 30 gallon. Good for both flow and glass cleaning.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my hopefully final arrangement. Might need to add some pcs of live rock from one of my other tanks to seed it. Not sure if it can just go into sump or if some has to go into the display as well which will look funny with spanking new rock and live rock. Goal was to follow flow of returns--from outside to inside, lots of crevices and swim throughs, some big enough for tangs, and as much terrace effect for corals as I could. My other tank is more wall and harder to place corals.
20180125_005342.jpg
20180125_005557.jpg
20180125_005611.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
Here is mine. I am actually working on getting better photos because it isn't showing the depth. Tank is 54" W x 30" T and 30" D. The tank is visible from the left side and front. Right side is overflow. 150 lbs of dry Pukani and 200 lbs of CaribSea sand. In the back half of the tank are 3 bags of Florida CaribSea with two bags of pink Fiji in front. Fish have lots of swim lanes and I still have some rock to move from my 40 breeder. We'll see if they make it and if so where.

View attachment 20180130_074622.jpg

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. I am actually working on getting better photos because it isn't showing the depth. Tank is 54" W x 30" T and 30" D. The tank is visible from the left side and front. Right side is overflow. 150 lbs of dry Pukani and 200 lbs of CaribSea sand. In the back half of the tank are 3 bags of Florida CaribSea with two bags of pink Fiji in front. Fish have lots of swim lanes and I still have some rock to move from my 40 breeder. We'll see if they make it and if so where.

View attachment 20180130_074622.jpg

I like it, however, for my eye the pyramid-shaped rock (second from the right as we look at the picture) blocks the area behind and in effect makes the tank look smaller. Anything you put behind that rock will be hidden and thus the space is wasted

U

User1

View Badges
@Joe Batt - great input and you are correct. I wasn't sure what to do with that rock honestly. I thought about placing it on top of the rock just behind it about 2'oclock. That would give me a opening should I want to add a clam. Although after reading a few of the threads in that sub forum, and some of the size clams I saw, I may not put one in. I didn't know they got that back in captive aquaria! Thank you for the feedback, appreciate it. I'll take another look at that rock this afternoon since I'll be placing some epoxy on the rocks that got a bit tumble happy.

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember you don't 'have' to use it, putting it in the sump is still filtration. Less is more sometimes more.

Retroreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a artist for fun and profession, I see things different than most people. I decided to create a article about composition, balance, color, and depth within your reef aquarium. I really hope this can help some of you out to create your dream looking reef that is pictured in your head. Once you have your tank in front of you with your rock, most people tend to blank out and just throw the aquascape together with little to no thought. When you search through the internet looking at the amazing reefs that you only dream of having, there’s one thing they have in common. Composition, balance, color, and depth. If you think you’re not capable of pulling off this effect in your tank, you are wrong. Once you understand the basics it will come natural to you. I have never written a article or done anything like this, so bear with me.

Lets focus on your Rock work first. The first thing that you see, but do not notice in pictures of your dream reef, is the placement of the rocks and exactly why it is so appealing to you. Well, For the most part it’s a simple answer really. The rule of thirds. The rule of thirds is a compositional technique for making art more interesting and dynamic. This does apply to reef aquascaping also. Look at your reef as a piece of living art. Take your time with this process and really plan it out. Your goal here is to not center your main structures. Picture a tic tac toe board.
rule_of_thirds_graph_zpsaa3fbb71.png

There’s 4 points where the lines intersect with each other. Your goal is to hit those points. You want the overall look to be off center to throw the viewers eyes all over instead of just right in the middle.
rule_of_thirds_zps388a345b.jpg

The way i see that works best for this is having one rock hit the upper right point and a smaller structure hitting the bottom left. You can place your plates, brains or small rock works in the middle just slighting off center. This creates a balanced reef.

Next is the rocks themselves. One thing i see people do a lot is just buy a big rock and put it in the tank. Theres no thought in that and it does not create a natural feel and takes away from the movement and shape or the rock. Why are mountains so amazing to us? Its because they are not a big slab of rock. They have all sorts of movement and depth. Things like points, divots, Certain lines or trees,caves, snow and running water.
mountains-wallpaper-6_zps66c9d4ee.jpg

Its throws our eyes all over of place and that is what the human mind finds attractive. Make sure to incorporate all sorts of movement in your rocks. One thing that will help it to picture the rock structure as a silhouette. If it’s just this big round blob thats not that appealing then you should change it up.Think about how you want your rock to be shaped and do not go with what you bought. Buy some main pieces and some smaller or one to break up with a hammer and epoxy to adhere them together. I think that dry rock is great for this because you can take your sweet old time with no die off to worry about. Dry scape your rock till you are happy. If you do consider all live rock, then look at the rock and make sure it’s not filled up with a bunch of random colors try to find more solid colored rock filled with coraline algae or another plain solid color. It will make your scape look confusing and your coral will be hard to find in the overall scape. Make sure to take a lot of pictures in case you created a scape that you loved but tried something else then you forgot what it was and how it looked before! If you are uncertain of your scape you can always post the pictures on a forum and see what others think. Constructive criticism is a artists greatest tool. You get a chance to see things from other peoples views.

a899a9f8_zps7cbb07a9.jpg

[/COLOR]Great example of all the tips for aquascaping i’ve shared.

Depth of field is a photography term but applies to your reef tank. To explain DOF (depth of field) lets go back to basic art class. DOF is created by having a foreground, mid,and background within a design.
5401032196_b40afb72aa_zps05cc0a16.jpg

[/COLOR]What you mainly want to achieve is to have a main rock structure and push it more towards the back of the tank. In my opinion, it’s always good to leave room behind the rock so you can clean the glass especially on clear background tanks. Build off that main structure. Add a peak and have it slope down. Go from big to small and moving the rocks closer to the front. You do not want a straight line or bigger to smaller rocks though. Again you want it to look composed. Make it have a slight curve towards the center of to tank. You can have one big rock work towards the back and have a medium on the opposite side of the thirds point, having the medium rock more center/foreword. Congratulations, you just created DOF! I like to have some small rocks almost right up the the front of the glass. When all is said and done you should have a back ground structure, a mid (whether it be a coral or a medium rock) to the Forward structure. You need to make sure your going from big to small going from the back to front. I hope that makes sense.

Another thing to add is to keep in mind your lighting and how that will hit onto your rock work. The taller the rock work the more light will hit it and the brighter it will be. Light will become important when the reef is started up. Consider that within your aquascape.

Once you have your aquascape done, then what? The rock work needs to have flow and correct composition of color introduced. Coral placement is just as important, if not more important then rock work. You need to throw the viewers eye where you want it. One big thing to remember is you do not want a group of green, a group of red and, a group of blue. You have to pretend you cannot touch the same color together. If you have two red coral then place one of the far left and on on the right. The trick is to throw the color throughout the tank. That is one rule for contrast and composition. One thing also is keep in mind where you want the viewers eye to gravitate. Keep that coral more alone and make sure to not have it clash with other colors. Having a bright red coral, surrounded by blue coral will make that coral pop and draw your eye to it. If you want to get very technical as if you were painting you can look at a color wheel.
486465_thumbnail_zps82149a23.jpg

Look at the complimentary colors. Yellow will pop the most in purple, green in red ,and blue in orange. having those colors next to each other will draw the viewer into that section of color.
cpfarm_zps43ffc087.jpg

Keep in mind your space within the reef. Make sure to have equal positive and negative space, unless you want to go with the minimalist approach. Then do about 35% positive (rocks, corals) and 60% negative ( open swimming space)

Theres no how to on aquascaping but theres lots of tips and tricks. Some people may not agree with my views and prefer other methods of “rockwall” or piling rocks into the thank and that is fine. It’s all opinion based and not everyone likes the same stuff and that’s perfectly fine. I DO NOT own the pictures provided or claim them to be mine. They are used to provide examples of what i am explaining. I hope this write up has helped someone and my countless hours of studying art paid off.

If you have any questions feel free to ask them and i will do my best to help you out.
Agreed on all points. Good stuff

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back