Tips and Tricks on Creating Amazing Aquascapes.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank scape. Simple yet effective.
611e85c24e48e1cf5ac17a2809cfe843.jpg

Very nice. I think where most people get it wrong is that they put in too much rock. Plus, I love the look of chromis and anthias in the water column.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What we all need to think about, is placing the rock work so it's pleasing to look at, is not all important as a lot of the rock will be covered by corals etc. Place several rocks together then step back at look at the scape, make sure we have ample holes for good flow, places where smaller fish can hide, larger fish that can have enough room swim through and sleep in. Again, stand back look if you have these area's. Look where you may leave corals permanently and areas where you can change locations as they grow larger or need to frag out, thin the crop etc.... If you're using plugs, you may need to drill holes in the rock ahead of time to make things easier. There's nothing wrong with drilling far more than you want, because more than likely going to add more corals later, if not, then corals will cover the extra holes anyway. You can also drill holes of different sizes, as you can place the coral themselves into holes without using plugs.

SPA50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I think where most people get it wrong is that they put in too much rock. Plus, I love the look of chromis and anthias in the water column.

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, posted this on another thread but this is the one I intended

Can I get a critique on this rock work?

I’m setting up a RS170 and was thinking of making the bottom right side “float” using a 1/2” glass shelf. The upper right side will also branch out using 1/2” acrylic rods, drilled through the rock (not like in the picture). The only thing I can think of changing would be creating more space in between rocks.

BTW, this will be an anemone tank.

TIA
70653af0b499ab2c5c06afc14928feab.jpg
142a846021b4eb405b3c8578d40ec7d4.jpg

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. I have seen a tank with the rods are in a side view and front, so when green algae grew on them and later, coraline algae, they stood out more than the corals,...lol (Maybe it became a dancing poll for the snails) :confused:

topdawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so happy to know my time writing this has paid off. I've been wanting to do this for a long time now and decided to just do it. lol.

Also to add:

I firmly believe that the same rules apply to any size tank. The only difference is going to be scale. Instead of huge rocks break them up to create a smaller version of the beautiful reef tanks you see. There's other things to try to still get that "look" In a cube the issue is theres not enough length to do multiple structures. Thats when you only do one. Rule of thirds still applies but only use one intersected point instead of two.

aquascape2_zpsfa8661c3.jpg

Here is a great example. It is only on one point with one main structure. notice the movement and shapes of the rocks. Great play with shadows and highlights. If you look at the one structure they still managed to hit two intersecting points. Thats what makes this look go good to the eye. Make sure to "taper" off the structure for that same Depth of field you need to aim for, also for maximum coral space :)[/QUOTE

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SCA 150 is getting ready to up in the next month! Just waiting on my sump and my lighting. #Aquarocks #Vidarocks plus, I will be adding around 50 pound of some old school Ultra Premium Fiji Live rock to speed up the cycling process. I kept a lot if after I tore down my new build for my new upgrade.

RIMLESS SCA 150.jpg

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be building two Arches today with some of my old school Premium Ultra Fiji live rock that I have left over from my previous build.
Going be using a product called E-Marco / E-400 Mortar to cement my selected piece in place.

E-Marco 400 Mortar kit
upload_2019-1-13_10-38-38.png

Premium Ultra Fiji live rock

upload_2019-1-13_11-8-37.png

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 167 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.0%
Back