Tips for breeding Trimma gobies?

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty soon I'll be getting a group of 10 Trimma Caudomaculatum and my main goal is to breed them successfully. Does anyone have any tips on how to breed Trimma gobies successfully? The main things I'm looking for are:
•Can Trimma Gobies actually swap sexes? I heard this from somewhere but I don't know if it's true or not, thats why I'm going with 10 so i could get 5 pairs in mind but if that's no true I'll go with more.
•What food would be good for the fry? I have live bbs on hand and will Culture rotifers if It's a must.

Thanks!

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would split them into 2 groups, and let them decide who spawns with who. For best results for larval first foods you will need to culture pods, and for some pods you will need to culture live phytoplankton.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty soon I'll be getting a group of 10 Trimma Caudomaculatum and my main goal is to breed them successfully. Does anyone have any tips on how to breed Trimma gobies successfully? The main things I'm looking for are:
•Can Trimma Gobies actually swap sexes? I heard this from somewhere but I don't know if it's true or not, thats why I'm going with 10 so i could get 5 pairs in mind but if that's no true I'll go with more.
•What food would be good for the fry? I have live bbs on hand and will Culture rotifers if It's a must.

Thanks!
There is a paper on sex change or the lack of it in Trimma species.

As larvae food you will most likely have to culture Parvocalanus and use the first nauplius stages as initial feeds.

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I've got PhytoFeast and PhytoFeast Live on hand so I think im good to go, hopefully my attempts will be somewhat successful

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I've got PhytoFeast and PhytoFeast Live on hand so I think im good to go, hopefully my attempts will be somewhat successful

Isochrysis galbana (Iso) or Tisochrysis lutea (T-Iso) are generally preferred as they are easiest to culture and have a good nutritional profile. But you could also use Tetraselmis, Rhodomonas, and a number of other motile algae. What does not work well as feeds for Parvocalanus are non motile algae like Nannochloropsis, algae paste, or the two you mentioned.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And rotifers as initial feeds are unlikely to yield success. You will need copepod nauplii.

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isochrysis galbana (Iso) or Tisochrysis lutea (T-Iso) are generally preferred as they are easiest to culture and have a good nutritional profile. But you could also use Tetraselmis, Rhodomonas, and a number of other motile algae. What does not work well as feeds for Parvocalanus are non motile algae like Nannochloropsis, algae paste, or the two you mentioned.
Oof okay, thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely be on the lookout for Iso and / or T-Iso

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 139 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 82 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.4%
Back