to chaeto or not to...

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys.. I've always had chaeto in my fuge with my set ups... I was wondering if I can get a way without having a chaeto in my set up... I do have a Tunze Nano skimmer in there and it's doing a great job pulling some crap so far.. I did put a little chaeto in the fuge just in case I need it still... if I can get a way with no chaeto, I'd rather go without it coz it just makes for a cleaner fuge area... I'm scared the with the chaeto growth, my skimmer will suck some and get stucked! I'm kinda lazy to keep trimming the stuff since it grows pretty well for me... any input will be appreciated...

here's a link to the new set up... the new tank starts at post #1218...
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799&page=122

Thanks again...

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably could keep the nitrates low without it. Chaeto would help but Im not too sure because Ive never had it myself. Are there any other macroalgaes that are "cleaner", besides caulerpa?

Cully

Big Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya gotta ask yourself, why's it growing so well? Is it because there's too much nitrogenous wastes in your system, so it's thriving???

Maybe yes, maybe no, I dunno. I've heard that unless a refugium is a certain percentage (can't remember the actual #, but it was pretty big) of your total system, It's not doing much. Like peeing in a river.

I have a 20gal fuge on a 280 total water vol system. I took it down for 2 months. I didn't really notice any difference to be honest. I think, if you're anal about water changes and siphoning off detritus from your display and sump AND you run a quality skimmer, you'd be ok without the chaeto.

Only other thing is, do you have any fish that rely on pods??? mandarin, seahorse, pipefish etc... they might miss out a little.

I'm rambling, hope I helped.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably could keep the nitrates low without it. Chaeto would help but Im not too sure because Ive never had it myself. Are there any other macroalgaes that are "cleaner", besides caulerpa?
yeah, that was the main reason I had chaeto before... my tank has always been skimmerless... I also had my photoperiod on alternating time with the chaeto light and the main light to help with PH... does that really make a difference? my PH has been on the high side since I moved last Dec... the PH swing was between 8.2 - 8.6 throughout the day..

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya gotta ask yourself, why's it growing so well? Is it because there's too much nitrogenous wastes in your system, so it's thriving???

Maybe yes, maybe no, I dunno. I've heard that unless a refugium is a certain percentage (can't remember the actual #, but it was pretty big) of your total system, It's not doing much. Like peeing in a river.

I have a 20gal fuge on a 280 total water vol system. I took it down for 2 months. I didn't really notice any difference to be honest. I think, if you're anal about water changes and siphoning off detritus from your display and sump AND you run a quality skimmer, you'd be ok without the chaeto.

Only other thing is, do you have any fish that rely on pods??? mandarin, seahorse, pipefish etc... they might miss out a little.

I'm rambling, hope I helped.
the thing is my tank is crowded with 5 fishes.... but none of them rely on pods for their food... the aqua fuge is the hang on med size so it probably holds around ~2 gallons... the tank is 28g...

johnr2604

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys.. I've always had chaeto in my fuge with my set ups... I was wondering if I can get a way without having a chaeto in my set up... I do have a Tunze Nano skimmer in there and it's doing a great job pulling some crap so far.. I did put a little chaeto in the fuge just in case I need it still... if I can get a way with no chaeto, I'd rather go without it coz it just makes for a cleaner fuge area... I'm scared the with the chaeto growth, my skimmer will suck some and get stucked! I'm kinda lazy to keep trimming the stuff since it grows pretty well for me... any input will be appreciated...

here's a link to the new set up... the new tank starts at post #1218...
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799&page=122

Thanks again...
I like to run Chaeto because the skimmer dosn't pull out stuff like phosphates.

Cully

Big Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to run Chaeto because the skimmer dosn't pull out stuff like phosphates.

True, that's why I rely on big frequent water changes and run GFO as well. I think if you CAN have a fuge you should. But, if its a pain or you don't have room, you can get away without it.

ss7

Guinea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I have shut down my chaeto filled refugium in past times, my skimmer really ups its production. For this reason, I am sold on macro export.
It doesn't pain me to trim my chaeto, however, I do have to spend additional time controlling magnesium balance.. the algae seems to consume a lot. :( Also, valueable GFO requires less changes..

Having said all that, lots of systems are set up with or without macro export.. just a question on whether its worth the hassle for benefits.

Best wishes
Sam

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion...... More the Chaeto the better! I now run about 500 gallons and I have enough Chaeto to fill a 50 gallon trash can or more.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll try it with the chaeto for now.. I'll just have to be diligent on trimming it since I don't have much room in the fuge...

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it in my sump didn't see much of a difference and it got loaded with crap... I rinsed it with RODI water a few times you shoulda seen the black crap comng off it!! YUCK threw it in the trash!!!!!!

Crystal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm feeling really tired tonight and can't figure it out...What does GFO stand for?

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, that was the main reason I had chaeto before... my tank has always been skimmerless... I also had my photoperiod on alternating time with the chaeto light and the main light to help with PH... does that really make a difference? my PH has been on the high side since I moved last Dec... the PH swing was between 8.2 - 8.6 throughout the day..

Take money that would be a fuge, and up it a bit to a really good skimmer. Youll love it man.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 45 49.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 6.6%
Back