To float, or not to float?

If he can do it so can you! LOL If I were to do it I might glue a 1" thick acrylic "L" shaped shelf on the back wall with gussets.

Yeah I was researching some more and doing an L shaped acrylic would take a lot of weight off the back.
 
Yeah I was researching some more and doing an L shaped acrylic would take a lot of weight off the back.
if it were me, given the parameters you're dealing with, I'd do a T shaped acrylic (bind 2 L shapes together) to give it more surface area, this way the load is distributed evenly across the back glass, this will have the added benefit of being able to hold more rock. Also, Not sure what type of rock you're considering, but the size:weight ratio of Cornerstone is way better than that of Real Reef or CaribSea plus I like Cornerstones look better, and their man-made rock is really porous... Though, if you're going with Marco, that's probably the better solution.
 
if it were me, given the parameters you're dealing with, I'd do a T shaped acrylic (bind 2 L shapes together) to give it more surface area, this way the load is distributed evenly across the back glass, this will have the added benefit of being able to hold more rock. Also, Not sure what type of rock you're considering, but the size:weight ratio of Cornerstone is way better than that of Real Reef or CaribSea plus I like Cornerstones look better, and their man-made rock is really porous... Though, if you're going with Marco, that's probably the better solution.
Ill definitely play with the T shape style, makes more sense as far as load bearing!
 
Stephen King Halloween GIF
 
To prevent a lot of weight from going onto the back wall, you could also glue a small portion of rock onto the bottom glass of the tank. I have seen it done before with very strong glue.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 30.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new