OP
Traviitrav

Traviitrav

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he can do it so can you! LOL If I were to do it I might glue a 1" thick acrylic "L" shaped shelf on the back wall with gussets.

Yeah I was researching some more and doing an L shaped acrylic would take a lot of weight off the back.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was researching some more and doing an L shaped acrylic would take a lot of weight off the back.
if it were me, given the parameters you're dealing with, I'd do a T shaped acrylic (bind 2 L shapes together) to give it more surface area, this way the load is distributed evenly across the back glass, this will have the added benefit of being able to hold more rock. Also, Not sure what type of rock you're considering, but the size:weight ratio of Cornerstone is way better than that of Real Reef or CaribSea plus I like Cornerstones look better, and their man-made rock is really porous... Though, if you're going with Marco, that's probably the better solution.

OP
OP
Traviitrav

Traviitrav

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it were me, given the parameters you're dealing with, I'd do a T shaped acrylic (bind 2 L shapes together) to give it more surface area, this way the load is distributed evenly across the back glass, this will have the added benefit of being able to hold more rock. Also, Not sure what type of rock you're considering, but the size:weight ratio of Cornerstone is way better than that of Real Reef or CaribSea plus I like Cornerstones look better, and their man-made rock is really porous... Though, if you're going with Marco, that's probably the better solution.
Ill definitely play with the T shape style, makes more sense as far as load bearing!

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stephen King Halloween GIF

dhanking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To prevent a lot of weight from going onto the back wall, you could also glue a small portion of rock onto the bottom glass of the tank. I have seen it done before with very strong glue.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back