to much pytoplankton!

just1seed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i'm joe. From ocala florida. I culture phytoplankton and brine shrimp. Ive just started exploring the copepod culture world. But i'm wondering what i'm going to do when i have to much phytoplankton? Only so many gallons fit in my fridge lol.

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing many people will take phytoplankton off your hands.
shutterstock-269208791 (1).jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, i'm joe. From ocala florida. I culture phytoplankton and brine shrimp. Ive just started exploring the copepod culture world. But i'm wondering what i'm going to do when i have to much phytoplankton? Only so many gallons fit in my fridge lol.
1685844236800.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed the extra to your tanks or grow your pod cultures out. Selling or giving it away locally works fine too, but it's extra steps. I'm pouring 300mL a day in my tanks (45g and 30g) and it doesn't cloud the water for more than 10 mins, so if you like filter feeders and you're willing to keep after your salinity creep.... you can sort of go nuts if you'd like.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if any LFS would buy some for a bulk rate. I know if I saw hobbyist grown phyto there I'd likely buy it. Reef Nutrition is fantastic food but the fresh stuff is pricy long term. Some don't want to go to the trouble of maintaining a culture.

OP
OP
J

just1seed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed the extra to your tanks or grow your pod cultures out. Selling or giving it away locally works fine too, but it's extra steps. I'm pouring 300mL a day in my tanks (45g and 30g) and it doesn't cloud the water for more than 10 mins, so if you like filter feeders and you're willing to keep after your salinity creep.... you can sort of go nuts if you'd like.
lol i have 2 tanks that stay very healthy because they get plenty of fresh-phyto, i do have a couple ads on etsy right now but shipping was an issue at first, now i think i got the hang of it. But culturing 8 gallons a week is more than i thought it was going to be, especially when my friend at the coral shop went on vacation this weekend. lol

OP
OP
J

just1seed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if any LFS would buy some for a bulk rate. I know if I saw hobbyist grown phyto there I'd likely buy it. Reef Nutrition is fantastic food but the fresh stuff is pricy long term. Some don't want to go to the trouble of maintaining a culture.
Right-on i'm actually trying to sell some on etsy but I had no idea what 8 gallons looked like in my fridge lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back