Toadstool leather help

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, it’s my first time posting a thread so if I miss anything please say, I have been a bit worried about my new toadstool since it has been closed ever since I got it which was three days ago, my only conclusion is that when I was trying to get the leather out of the bag into the dipping container and I accidentally shook it a little too hard and it face planted into the container, I don’t think it was too high of a fall but it did fall, it was a very dumb of me to do now when I look back on it.
So my question is what do I do? Do I leave it?, is it dying? And if it is dying what should I do to help?, I’m not too sure since Its my first time keeping toadstools

I’ll post a picture of what it looks like (ai prime, all on, since my schedule makes it look a little too blue)

image.jpg

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstool was my first coral, been there even during the worst times of my tank, at one point mine was closed for a month, and I never found out why, but now it's doing great again. I'd just make sure it's getting adequet light and flow, and not touch it or move it if it is, toadstools are super hardy, even if it takes a while, 95% chance it'll be just fine.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had one that stayed closed for over 6 months. I almost tossed it. Then one day.... huge polyps everywhere. They are pretty hard to kill. I hack the head off mine at least once a year when it grows too big and a new one grows back on the stalk within a few weeks.

Looking at the picture, it might be shedding. If you blow on it with a turkey baster, does the brown stuff come off?

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it ever opened up? I'd give it a week. What are your water parameters?
Yes it has! When I was floating it in the bag I saw very bright green polyps, that’s why I don’t suspect the light being a problem.
My alk,cal,mag is
8.6-8.9
410-420
I have been trying to match the same as the lfs(slowly) which isn’t that far apart. I currently don’t have any other kits but will be going to the lfs soon to test for nitrates,nitrites, and phosphate, (If I’m missing something I can add it to the list)

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed some algae growing on it. The brown stuff (diatoms or dinos, algae). Anyway, blow it off with a turkey baster. Should not be an issue, but may be irritated and will then shed. Make sure it had lots of flow.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably really doubtful that it was harmed significantly when you dropped it. Toadstool leathers are quite resilient and hardy and will sometimes stay closed for a while at random intervals. Just give it time and observe it.
I have been reading a lot of articles since it’s been like this and I’ve been seeing it 50/50 but those were years ago so I wasn’t really sure what to believe,so thanks for making me feel a bit better! I really just wanted to make sure it’s not showing anything bad!

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstool was my first coral, been there even during the worst times of my tank, at one point mine was closed for a month, and I never found out why, but now it's doing great again. I'd just make sure it's getting adequet light and flow, and not touch it or move it if it is, toadstools are super hardy, even if it takes a while, 95% chance it'll be just fine.
Yes i currently have it in the middle of the tank which get a bit more flow than the rest of the tank, which in general doesn’t have much flow but I believe is enough, i will definitely keep everything in mind though, maybe after a week or two I’ll move it a bit higher on the rock just in case it isn’t getting enough light, thanks for the advice! I’m really surprised on how many people commented in such a short time

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that stayed closed for over 6 months. I almost tossed it. Then one day.... huge polyps everywhere. They are pretty hard to kill. I hack the head off mine at least once a year when it grows too big and a new one grows back on the stalk within a few weeks.

Looking at the picture, it might be shedding. If you blow on it with a turkey baster, does the brown stuff come off?
Woahhh that’s pretty unbelievable that it took 6 months, also could you really cut off the entire head and both the stalk and head will grow right back?

I don’t think it is shedding, I noticed yesterday it was growing some algae on its head, I tried blowing off the algae right now but I don’t think it will go away as easy nor wanna blow it too hard on it. But I’ll keep trying to blow it off if I can

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can rub it off. It will not hurt it. Unless you take a metal brush to it. Use a toothbrush or finger. Mine have this happen when they close too long.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They take time to adjust. AS stated, they will close up on and off, shed, grow. It looks very nice.
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it! still kinda blown away by how many people commented in such a short amount of time, I’ll leave it as is until next Friday/9 more days, I’ll move it on the rock just a bit in case it needs light/flow, i just hope it gets better.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a toadstool, some torch and GSP in QT on Monday afternoon. The toad popped out for a couple hours today but not fully. It seems to be deciding which direction makes it the happiest. The GSP polyped out at about 25% for the same time period then closed up. Torches are just kind of hanging out.
Point being... similar timeline.... similar status... not a thing to worry about. Patience is the greatest take away you can learn from this hobby.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can rub it off. It will not hurt it. Unless you take a metal brush to it. Use a toothbrush or finger. Mine have this happen when they close too long.
I read somewhere on an article that if you touch a toadstool with your hands it’ll close up for weeks, hence why I didn’t really grab it when putting it in the dipping tub, but now I just think it’s a myth from all the replies, I’ll try it right now. I’m back, I used the toothbrush and it worked better than I expected to be honest! Thanks for saying that, it looks much better now!

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a toadstool, some torch and GSP in QT on Monday afternoon. The toad popped out for a couple hours today but not fully. It seems to be deciding which direction makes it the happiest. The GSP polyped out at about 25% for the same time period then closed up. Torches are just kind of hanging out.
Point being... similar timeline.... similar status... not a thing to worry about. Patience is the greatest take away you can learn from this hobby.
Yes, as you said, patience is really key, before I’ll know it the toadstool will probably already open up twice as big, but I do have hope that they will survive the qt, I don’t really have a qt but what do you put/dose in a coral qt? Never really thought about it.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s finally opening!! I’m not going to get too excited because it might close again but it’s opening!
(Will post other tests parameters when I get the chance)
Also thanks to everyone who commented!

image.jpg

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love them. My mom got this one for me so it's always gonna be special. It looks like a little Rasta with it's hair flowing in the waves lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back