Toadstool not opening up all the way

Ocean_dreamer89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I’ve had this toadstool leather for about 5 months. It looks like it’s doing well and has grown considerably, however the polyps are not opening up all the way. They are extended but the green part has never been visible since I brought it home. When I picked it out at the LFS it had the green polyps out. I’ve tried it in two spots with slightly different flow, but same results. Any ideas?

PS I’m at work now for the night, but will post parameters tomorrow morning. This tank is about a year old.

DEE2AC11-AFCB-4F11-B615-48F1D0F6925D.jpeg 7300740F-9587-4AD6-840A-593384532146.jpeg 0A41CBBE-C33E-47A1-BC0A-2011071A2DFB.png

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening and #WelcometoR2R @Ocean_dreamer89

Tank looks good. What light was the shop using and what are you using? It may need some higher par to get the full opening. You could also try a spot feeding of some coral food to see if it prompts a feeding response and opens up more. I would not be too concerned if it doesn’t as long as it is still growing and looking healthy.

proxy001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstool are notorious for acting funky for no reason. Mine got sick after being half eaten by a reef angel. I put it higher in thank in front of the power head. Fully recovered and never seen such a healthy one. They seem to like being blasted with flow (and light)

OP
OP
Ocean_dreamer89

Ocean_dreamer89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening and #WelcometoR2R @Ocean_dreamer89

Tank looks good. What light was the shop using and what are you using? It may need some higher par to get the full opening. You could also try a spot feeding of some coral food to see if it prompts a feeding response and opens up more. I would not be too concerned if it doesn’t as long as it is still growing and looking healthy.

That’s a really good point. I don’t remember what they had at the shop but I have the stock Biocube LED. I’m sure the one at the shop was much higher PAR.

Thanks for the compliment! I’ve been really happy with this nano tank. Many talk about how nano tanks are harder for beginners but I feel like it has taught me to stay consistent with the tank. I do weekly water changes and if I’m off a couple days, I can notice a difference in the tank, albeit slight.

OP
OP
Ocean_dreamer89

Ocean_dreamer89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstool are notorious for acting funky for no reason. Mine got sick after being half eaten by a reef angel. I put it higher in thank in front of the power head. Fully recovered and never seen such a healthy one. They seem to like being blasted with flow (and light)

I may have to try a higher flow spot then and higher. I have noticed that as it’s been growing, it’s been growing upwards. My guess is with my rockscape and stock LEDs it could be chasing that. I’ll move it again and see what happens.
Thank you!!

proxy001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted that on another thread. Look at the amount of flow (crappy video, sorry, look at the first few seconds) and light, mine is pretty high up.

OP
OP
Ocean_dreamer89

Ocean_dreamer89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted that on another thread. Look at the amount of flow (crappy video, sorry, look at the first few seconds) and light, mine is pretty high up.

That’s an awesome video!! Is that a Red Sea tank? I plan on upgrading in a year or so to a 425XL.
But yes my Toadstool looks the same way. Super healthy hut just not the green parts opening up. I was looking for a healthy, colorful coral when I picked it out at the store, but have just been struggling with it opening all the way up since I brought it home. Definitely going to try some To follow the advice and put it it some different spots to see if it opens up some more. Just a little wary because although the green parts are not opened up, it still looks pretty happy and healthy.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back