Toadstool recovery following Rapa Rapa removal

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with Rapa Rapa snails and Sarcophyton?

I have a toadstool coral that I added to my tank back in the middle of March. I purchased it from a LFS I was unfamiliar with so I did dip it prior to adding it to my tank with Seachem Reef Dip. It went through a fairly rapid shed following this (something I also attributed to mixing sand into my existing bed at the same time). Two weeks later it looked much better.

(April 1st)
A1275546-2BC0-47F5-97B1-3DFA0774A39C.jpeg 0E3611D9-3D4B-40BA-9756-655B531FFE8D.jpeg

A little over a week later, it began to sulk, then shed again.
(April 11th - 15th)
ED1754C5-703A-4CF4-93FE-96DE5D6A6BE2.jpeg 60B68621-E043-43FE-91D4-144E85E1D4FC.jpeg

The leather continued to do this, never fully extending. Sulk, shed, sulk, shed. Rapidly, from what I understand is typical of Toadstools.

Finally, on the 24th I decided to take the leather out to examine it. It had a frag plate attached to it at a slight angle from where the coral had grown that way at the store. I examined the attached rock/plate for hitchhikers, and the surface of the toadstool for possible signs of nudibranch. Nothing. Till I flipped it over and caught a glimpse of shell visible through the leather’s skin. A small tube of shell was protruding out of the coral’s base along the frag plate. I was able to push the leather’s flesh away from the plate and see a line of shell beneath the flesh, about an inch long. It was not adhered to it. I was able to make out spiraling so I began to research.

Finally I found the Rapa Rapa. I double checked the image against what was visible through the leather’s flesh. It appeared to be a match, so I made a gut call and got out my scalpel. I cut enough of the base away to remove the shell (larger than I realized from what was visible), which tugged free of the leather easily. It was dead, the shell was empty. I inspected the cavity and was able to identify another small snail imbedded in the tissue, the surface flush with the flesh. It was definitely alive. I removed this one as well, and checked the rest of the cavity for other snails.

I didn’t want to frag out the leather, and I know this is what is recommended in this situation. I felt the entire inside of the cavity, pressing into the flesh and wasn’t able to feel anything. So, I decided to make an incision along the inside of the cavity in three places to allow for the iodine to get in, and I redipped the coral. (I have no idea if the extra incisions were wise or not, I was simply trying to ensure that the dip would get to any snails I may have missed.)

(Photos of the rapa rapa after removal. I didn’t take any photos of the shell prior to removal. Hands were shaking and this was my first experience cutting into a leather. The middle of the green part of the large shell is what was visible through the toadstool’s flesh.)
5922C554-EC4D-45AD-9AB2-B2EBA9CF2C56.jpeg 7AC89F82-2479-4717-864D-1179CF81C6CB.jpeg

What I would like to know is if the toadstool needs to be fragged? Am I doomed to repeat this process in the future if I don’t? How was the smaller rapa rapa able to survive my initial dip? I am assuming the dip wasn’t able to reach the snail because it was protected by the leather and the other shell, or that I didn’t dip long enough the first time. Thoughts? Feel free to tell me anything I did wrong, this is a learning process for sure.

Btw; the toadstool pepped up after about three days, shed for a longer period of time (over a week) and is now fully recovered from what I can tell.

Edit: Both dips were for 15 minutes.

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back