Toadstool

Nano_reefer29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this toadstool 4 days ago. It was open for two days then it's been closed ever since I did a water change. Is it still okay? All of my parameters are good and everything else in the tank is happy.
20181010_164501.jpeg

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More specific parameters other than "good," what lighting are you running? It looks fine, just unhappy. They have a tendency to do this.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstools are know too be finicky .. often closing up for a few days at a time .. they will also shed a mucus skin they get when irritated or growing .. it’s probably getting used too your tank which probably has different parameters and lights and flow than where it came from , they are a very hardy coral but can be temperamental.. so don’t worry it will perk up soon ..!!!

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine, toadstools just do this sometimes.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few leathers and a small toadstool

As said in a prior post, they can close up and shed or just be moody.

It should be just fine

Gatorbuilder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a toad stool that is just about the same size. I have had it for some time (year plus in a tiny nano reef) and have come to see it retract for various reasons:
1. General growth (maybe once every 3-4 weeks)
2. Periodic self cleaning (as a result of detritus settling on it)
3. As a response to a new emerald crab that I saw climbing it a few times. (I personally thought that irritated it greatly)

I actually thought that I had lost it after it retracted as a result of the crab's irritation. It had just molted about a week prior, so when it retracted again, I thought that odd. Then it stayed shut up for almost 4 full weeks. I had all but given up on it, it was even showing signs of some algae growth on it's flesh. So I took a sponge and wiped it clean. 2 days later it started to VERY slowly bud out in a few spots. That gave me hope that it was still alive. After about a week it was back out fully and has been fine ever since. I have not seen the crab on it again, so I think everyone has adapted. Long story short, they are EXTREMELY resilient and unless your tank has SERIOUS chemistry imbalances, I would just wait it out.

Gatorbuilder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 7 weeks ago I was convinced this toad stool was DRT (Dead Right There). It was shrunken and slightly shriveled. Even was getting some algae on it. I took a sponge and cleaned it off (and was not really even that gentle about it) A day or so later it had a few tiny bumps around the edges. Then it popped out and is as good as ever. Keep the faith, they are extremely durable.

82E5C3A4-6336-4595-A3E3-97C0ADB49B7F.jpeg

Gary S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 7 weeks ago I was convinced this toad stool was DRT (Dead Right There). It was shrunken and slightly shriveled. Even was getting some algae on it. I took a sponge and cleaned it off (and was not really even that gentle about it) A day or so later it had a few tiny bumps around the edges. Then it popped out and is as good as ever. Keep the faith, they are extremely durable.

82E5C3A4-6336-4595-A3E3-97C0ADB49B7F.jpeg
Love those cobalt mushrooms!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back