Tomini tang in QT - prophylactic treatment?

Mecogirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a little 2-inch Tomini tang in QT right now, he has been there for about 2 weeks. We haven't done any medication yet because he wasn't eating at first and we didn't want to stress him further. He is eating just fine now, and has become more active (still a complete scaredy cat though). I have seen no signs of illness but I haven't gotten to inspect super closely because he hides in his PVC every time we get close.

My question is this - do you recommend prophylactically treating a tang that is not showing signs of illness? If so, with what? I have Cupramine, Copper Power, and PraziPro but I can get other meds if needed. And if not, should I just let him chill in the QT for another 2-4 weeks and add him to the DT if there are still no signs? What's your standard observation period in that case?

Other info: QT is 10 gallons, I have been changing out his water almost every day because I have to siphon detritus off the bottom (he is a messy eater with the red nori I put in there). I worry that might make copper treatment difficult but can make it work if it's the best thing.

Thanks everyone. I know tangs are finicky (and more likely to spread disease) so I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you measuring the ammonia in the QT? Can you keep it below 0.25 ppm?

Here is my standard quarantine process:

I'd use the copper power and prazi. You can mix up some new water in a jug and dose it with the exact amount of copper power for that volume. Then, when you siphon the bottom of the tank, you can just replace that water with the treated water.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back