Tomini tang

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first tang Friday. He been eating every day. Today he is not eating and is laying in his side. Ammonia and nitrate look fine. Anyways I did a 2 gallon water change. He is in a 10 gallon holding tank. Should I be super concerned?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first tang Friday. He been eating every day. Today he is not eating and is laying in his side. Ammonia and nitrate look fine. Anyways I did a 2 gallon water change. He is in a 10 gallon holding tank. Should I be super concerned?
Absolutely, that’s not correct behavior.
That’s way small for a tang for any length of time.
When they eat, then don’t, that’s a big signal, one that must be corrected in the short term.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah he might be stressed and sick. I would get him out if the 10 and into a bigger qt

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got mine I did put him in display after acclimation. I just felt bad to quarantine him in tiny cube…. I took chance and he/she is well proportioned now and swims all the time. When I got him he was paper thin.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can you provide video under white lighting of at least 30 seconds?
Laying is often a sign of stress and when you say ammonia and nitrate look fine- what are your numbers and how are you testing them?
I assume its breathing rapid?
What is salinity level?

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide video under white lighting of at least 30 seconds?
Laying is often a sign of stress and when you say ammonia and nitrate look fine- what are your numbers and how are you testing them?
I assume its breathing rapid?
What is salinity level?
Ammonia is zero. Nitrate was at like 20 ish.
Testing every other day, he seems to be somewhat breathing hard. Salinity 35 PPT. I used turbo start to start the tank. He seems to swim fine after he gets swimming.

Attachments

• IMG_1013.mov
    81.7 MB
OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got mine I did put him in display after acclimation. I just felt bad to quarantine him in tiny cube…. I took chance and he/she is well proportioned now and swims all the time. When I got him he was paper thin.
I got him cuz he was super cheap. And haven’t added other fish yet to the tank. Sense tanks to last usually. But I may consider adding him in rn.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Fish looks weak and thin as you notice and may be becoming moribund. It also looks pale in a couple of areas.
How was fish acclimated and for how long?
Is this a quarantine tank?
At times healthy is more valuable than cheap and at time of purchase, you want a fish has good body mass, eating in your presence, gets along with other fish in display tank and breathing normal with no blemishes or signs of disease on its body

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish looks weak and thin as you notice and may be becoming moribund. It also looks pale in a couple of areas.
How was fish acclimated and for how long?
Is this a quarantine tank?
At times healthy is more valuable than cheap and at time of purchase, you want a fish has good body mass, eating in your presence, gets along with other fish in display tank and breathing normal with no blemishes or signs of disease on its body
When got him he was eating and In good shape. Fish was floated for 20 minutes and then dripped for almost 2 hours. This is a holding tank till I get other fish in the tank. But if needed I can put him now if it’s better for his health.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
When got him he was eating and In good shape. Fish was floated for 20 minutes and then dripped for almost 2 hours. This is a holding tank till I get other fish in the tank. But if needed I can put him now if it’s better for his health.
Not sure based on how weak it is if moving it to another tank Will help and May stress it more

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I ended up moving him. His tank has high nitrites. So I thought it would be better for him in that tank more room and better water conditions.
As mentioned, I suspected high nitrates and ammonia and you will want to monitor it frequently and get this guy to eat

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back