Too much flow for a nano?

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I have been experimenting and learning with my first ever reef tank, an Evo 13.5. I added a bunch of corals yesterday and some rock flowers. The tank had seemed to be doing well with the setup I had with the stock pump and a Jebao Sine SOW-3 wave maker/powerhead.
Now I have the new corals in I wonder if there is too much flow from this wave maker across the bottom/front of the tank. It seems to be going across the back of the tank and hitting the right side and flowing back across the front low in the tank.
My rock flower has headed off the top of the rock on the right, assuming to get out of the flow as the light was better where it was and my Hammer now seems less happy than he was.

Should I wait it out and see how things settle? Move things around (The hammer is on such a tall skeleton I have less options to move it) or change the wavemaker?
I have a new pump to go in that's a little bigger than the stock and a random flow head for the return, but was waiting till things settle a little to change that over - don't like changing everything at once!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t look like it’s way too much, I would turn it down one or two notches (pretty sure that pump is controllable). I can’t see how you have it angled, but you want to place it a few inches below the water line and have it angled slightly up towards the surface.

OP
OP
Elise_

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, It is on the lowest setting as it is and angled about 45 degrees towards glass a couple of inches from the top of the tank. Angling towards the surface seems to just throw water from the tank.

Guessing I might just need to downgrade to a smaller wave maker.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look like too much flow to me personally

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back