• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Too soon to add Rock flower Anemone?

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi, I have had my 32 gal. tank up for 2 months, and the parameters and salinity have not been fluctuating, and are not perfect, but are very near perfect.
I have 1 fish, CUC inverts, and a serpent star, all of which are doing great.
No algae surprisingly. Could I add a rock flower anemone to my tank? I have heard they are very hardy, but if it is too early to add it then I understand.
And when I do at some point add it, should I dip it? I have a coral dip that is not too strong, but will definitely do the job, and works for anemones, just checking if that is always recommended.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

WIReefer

Taking it day by day
View Badges
Reaction score
This article should help you! @Crabs McJones did a wonderful job on this article helps a lot!

92Miata

View Badges
Reaction score
Every specialty area on this board will tell you that their animals are the most sensitive and hard to keep, and you should wait forever - even the zooanthid and mushroom people.

Some of the larger anemones are very sensitive, but most of the smaller ones are very hardy. I've kept a lot of BTAs, and found them to be very hardy - much more so than most corals (especially stonies).

For a decade plus, rock flower anemones were basically Florida rock hitchhikers in this hobby. People started tanks with them. They generally did fine.

I like adding anemones early - in my experience, they do well, and they get their moving around out of the way before there's anything else to kill.

OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Got it, thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I actually got a Zoanthid 2 days ago, and it started opening within 5-10 mins, and all the polyps have opened, and it looks great. I'm definitely going to get a rock flower very soon, and possibly a Ricordea.
I definitely thought of that, (adding the anemones early), in my head I was thinking that I did not want to wait too long to add an anemone, even though rock flowers don't move as much, and have them stinging some corals.

Which do you prefer?

• A few LARGE, not as colorful less expensive, coral colonies filling your tank

Votes: 118 38.4%
  • A lot of TINY, but very colorful more expensive, frags covering the rock

Votes: 138 45.0%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 51 16.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Octo Aquatics - Custom Acrylic Products