Torch bleaching?

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this torch for about 3 months. It has been doing well up until about a week ago. I added GFO to my tank and since then, it has slowly declined. Will take the GFO out....but I'm wondering (still new to this), can this torch recover?

Parameters:
Salinity 35ppt (trident)
Phosphates 0.03 (Hannah) - They've run between .03-.08.
Nitrates 40ppm. (I know - high - but the've been this way since January. Struggling - because I have high nitrates - low phosphates.
Alkalinity - stable at 8.6 (trident)
Calcium - stable at 450 (trident)
Magnesium - stable at 1300 (trident)

I took the picture this morning - with no lights on....just ambient room lighting. Edited to add: I have a Bubble Magnus 7 skimmer, a fuge with Chaeto on light cycle opposite my tank. I run filter socks, that I change every 3-4 days.

bleached torch.jpg

Last edited:

BobbyCline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Type of lighting?

Total water volume?

How much GFO added?

How often?

I wouldn't use GFO if PO4 consistently remains between .03 and .08

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but if your PO4 was around .03 to .08 prior to GFO addition, it could be really close to or at zero now.

Zero not ideal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's in pretty rough shape has the flesh left the sides of the base? I find once they do that it's very hard to get them back. @MERKEY any tips on this one?
It doesn't appear that the flesh has receded. It looks a little better today??? Some of the tentacles are starting to color up - I think.....or it may be wishful thinking.
Torch 2.jpg

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Type of lighting?

Total water volume?

How much GFO added?

How often?

I wouldn't use GFO if PO4 consistently remains between .03 and .08

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but if your PO4 was around .03 to .08 prior to GFO addition, it could be really close to or at zero now.

Zero not ideal.
I have 3 Hydra 32s....running BRS recommended. Torch is currently on the sanded. I haven't done any 'par' stuff. The torch was 'happy' for about 6 weeks prior to the bleaching.

Total water volume - approx 125 gallons. I added 2 of the Chemipure Elite 11.74 bags. I just added them two weeks ago (first time) - at the recommendation of my LFS to help with my high nitrates. I removed 1 of them 3 days ago when I noticed my torch going down hill. My PO4 is consistently between .03-.08. I tested PO4 this morning, and it was .03 (hanna). The torch is coloring up better.....I'll try and get a picture tomorrow during ambient light.

Should I remove the other bag? I'm still struggling with high nitrates/low phosphates. Water changes do not seem to help with the Nitrate problem - I generally change 15 gallons a week.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Pull GFO, Reduce white light intensity and elevate the torch a little as on direct sand bed, can become irritated by sand itself.

Moderate light and water flow
Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .5
phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
mG 1300
Alk 8-9
CA 440

BobbyCline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Hydra 32s....running BRS recommended. Torch is currently on the sanded. I haven't done any 'par' stuff. The torch was 'happy' for about 6 weeks prior to the bleaching.

Total water volume - approx 125 gallons. I added 2 of the Chemipure Elite 11.74 bags. I just added them two weeks ago (first time) - at the recommendation of my LFS to help with my high nitrates. I removed 1 of them 3 days ago when I noticed my torch going down hill. My PO4 is consistently between .03-.08. I tested PO4 this morning, and it was .03 (hanna). The torch is coloring up better.....I'll try and get a picture tomorrow during ambient light.

Should I remove the other bag? I'm still struggling with high nitrates/low phosphates. Water changes do not seem to help with the Nitrate problem - I generally change 15 gallons a week.
Those nitrates are pretty high, but I'm not sure whether or not bleaching would be a byproduct of that. You should probably try to get those down slowly, but I'd be more concerned about zeroing out your already low phosphates with GFO in the tank. I'd happily never use GFO againif my phosphate only reached .08.

Not real familiar with Chemipure Elite but I'm almost positive it won't lower nitrates. Since it is part GFO it will lower your phosphates.

Assuming it has a recommended rate. In my case, GFO is pretty good at what it does, so I'd be cautious about adding to much.

I add just 10 tablespoons of GFO in a reactor bi-weekly. When it's time to change PO4 is usually around .12-.14. Within a day after addition PO4 drops to about .06 then slowly begins to raise over 2 weeks.

I also run Hydras with lots of torches so your lighting should be adequate, but renting a PAR meter really helped me to identify some lighting issues. I was also running a "recommended" lighting schedule. What I thought was sufficient lighting really wasn't. Most of my tank was decent but there were some areas didn't get near the light I assumed they did.

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chemipure elite does nothing for nitrates. Blue may help prevent them but not significantly

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reef roids....I'll try that.

Make sure you are target feeding it when you do it rather than broadcast feeding it. You can also feed it whatever you feed your fish. Reef energy is what I used when I bleached a chalice (plus phycopure)

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled it all out. I'm looking into vodka/vinegar dosing to help with the nitrates...but I have a lot of research to do first.

What I would do for your nitrates is closely monitor phosphates and dose if needed while you turn your refugium light on for 24 hours a day. What light do you have on the refugium?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back