Torch closed up

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

My Green tip torch has been in the tank a few days now. When I first got it in there I noticed one head seemed to have closed up quite a bit, one side of it had some tentacle things (whatever they're called :p) barely sticking out and the other seemed to have either suck right back into the skeleton or not had any in the first place. Figured it might just be mad about the move so left it.
After a couple of days the rest of the torch is out and waving around madly and loving the light, but the one that had sucked right back into the skeleton seemed to still be sucked right in, and the other which was barely showing had sucked right in from what I could tell.

I started to question whether the side that was barely showing any was actually showing some in the first place!
Just wondering what everyone's opinion is as to what's going on here and maybe how I can help it come back out?

When it first went in
20210221_180327.jpg

A day or so after, you can see one side is sucked in a lot still, the other basically non existent.
20210222_171735.jpg

Today; Torch appears to be mostly loving life, however both sides of that head seem (or heads?) seem to have completely disappeared).

20210225_173544.jpg

I tested parameters the other day as per below and currently working on getting the alk up at least around the 8.5 mark or so.

Salinity - 1.0206
Alk - 6.1 initially (currently sitting at 7.6 after 3 days of dosing)
pH - 7.8
Nitrate - 20ish (WC and a good sand vac happening this w/e, maybe adding some more snails for cuc).
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Calcium - 450
Magnesium - 1350

Thanks

ChaseB143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, that kind of torch likes a lot of light. I couldn’t keep the heads from dying until it got quite a bit of light. what kind of light do you have on your tank?

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, that kind of torch likes a lot of light. I couldn’t keep the heads from dying until it got quite a bit of light. what kind of light do you have on your tank?
I'm running an AI Hydra 32HD which is on 50% due to being in acclimation mode.
The rest of it seems okay though with current lighting?

ReefSapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may just be a typo but if your salinity is really at 1.020 that is way to low, hopefully you are actually at 1.026 but if not i would start slowly raising that right away.

Torches tend to be a little bit weird, I would take a real close look at it and make sure nothing is bothering it, perhaps give it another dip. The 2 heads that are out look very happy so hopefully whatever is bothering the other 2 is isolated and treatable.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may just be a typo but if your salinity is really at 1.020 that is way to low, hopefully you are actually at 1.026 but if not i would start slowly raising that right away.

Torches tend to be a little bit weird, I would take a real close look at it and make sure nothing is bothering it, perhaps give it another dip. The 2 heads that are out look very happy so hopefully whatever is bothering the other 2 is isolated and treatable.
Yeah sorry, should be 1.026 idk why I've been getting in the habit of writing it with an extra 0 lately lol.

When I dipped it initially, I remember there was some blackish gunk on one of the heads that I tried to rub off a little (assumed it was their poop or something due to being dipped and stressed), not sure if that was the head that was affected or not though.

ReefSapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very hard to see what's going on in the pictures but if it were mine I would pull it out and dip it again. Give it a close look while you are doing it, if it is brown jelly that can spread and wipe out all of your euphyllia with a quickness. Only reason I even bring up bjd is because you said you had some blackish gunk which is a little scary. I am no expert but I do love my euphyllia so I am sure others have some better ideas and will chime in, hope this helps a little anyway.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very hard to see what's going on in the pictures but if it were mine I would pull it out and dip it again. Give it a close look while you are doing it, if it is brown jelly that can spread and wipe out all of your euphyllia with a quickness. Only reason I even bring up bjd is because you said you had some blackish gunk which is a little scary. I am no expert but I do love my euphyllia so I am sure others have some better ideas and will chime in, hope this helps a little anyway.
Appreciate the input.
I'm still very new to this hobby so sometimes it can be hard for me to know what exactly I'm looking at or what corals or fish are doing. I assumed it was poop or something as I know one or two of my other corals had done something similar when I added them after dipping. I'm not seeing it expel anything in the tank thankfully and my 2 hammers which are on the opposite side appear to be doing quite well. May certainly look to dip it again tonight/tomorrow though.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completed the dip.
Grabbed some tank water in a container, then had 2 containers of RO water to rinse.

Left it in the first container for approx 5-10 mins. I also grabbed an old tooth brush to agitate some of the bits around the skeleton etc.
I also noticed a bunch of gunk in the head so I brushed at that also softly. It all seemed to come out (but was it dead torch?).
It's back in the tank now feeling all violated so hopefully it settles in again nicely and opens back up, opens up so nicely when it's happy.

Do you think that head is dead?
Here's some pics;

As soon as it went in the dip
20210226_161837.jpg

20210226_161823.jpg

After a light brushing
20210226_162508.jpg

Back home
20210226_162732.jpg

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completed the dip.
Grabbed some tank water in a container, then had 2 containers of RO water to rinse.

Left it in the first container for approx 5-10 mins. I also grabbed an old tooth brush to agitate some of the bits around the skeleton etc.
I also noticed a bunch of gunk in the head so I brushed at that also softly. It all seemed to come out (but was it dead torch?).
It's back in the tank now feeling all violated so hopefully it settles in again nicely and opens back up, opens up so nicely when it's happy.

Do you think that head is dead?
Here's some pics;

As soon as it went in the dip
20210226_161837.jpg

20210226_161823.jpg

After a light brushing
20210226_162508.jpg

Back home
20210226_162732.jpg
That one head is very dead.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expected as much tbh.
As I was brushing the head I figured it was dead torch that was actually coming off of it.
You were right. It sucks but there's nothing you can really do at this point. Keep a close eye on the other heads.

Back