Torch Coral just tissue fragging?

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a torch, nice one, that brown jellied after getting torn up in shipping has a "frag" of tissue only that has been sitting in my tank for a few days pinned under a rock.

The polyps look great! Lol. Extended and plump! Just no skeleton. Lol.

I put, carefully, in mushroom cage on some rubble. I was even thinking of putting in on a clean torch skeleton.

Anyone think this thing might can survive or recreate a skeleton?
20210808_151739.jpg

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210808_154548.jpg
20210808_154702.jpg

I dont know why but this cracks me up... life trying to find a way, no matter what!

I tossed that skeleton days ago and this thing, blob of flesh, is reaching tenacles outside the cage for light! Lol

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I read on RC at one time that Euphyllia that had polyp bale out can make new skeletons but I think the odds of survival are low. You have probably given it the best chance with that cage. I had an elegance coral that bailed and looked amazing until it got sucked into an intake...

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, there’s basically a zero percent chance it’ll start regrowing a skeleton and it won’t reattach you a dead skeleton. There was a thread here where a guy kept a hammer polyp that had bailed for around a year and it never regrew any skeleton, just continued to float around in a basket.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, there’s basically a zero percent chance it’ll start regrowing a skeleton and it won’t reattach you a dead skeleton. There was a thread here where a guy kept a hammer polyp that had bailed for around a year and it never regrew any skeleton, just continued to float around in a basket.
Well... better than dead, lol. A year doesnt sound like a super long time though considering coral lifespans, though. I mean ive had corals middle finger me for over a year and do nothing. Then out of nowhere start growing. It's small enough and costly enough of a coral it can hang out for a while. Im just too curious at thi point.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Corals start out as a larval/baby coral that's meant to land on a rock and grow from nothing.

Theoretically the polyps that bail out are able to land and regrow, hence the bailout. But I don't know that it's ever been documented in aquaria.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals start out as a larval/baby coral that's meant to land on a rock and grow from nothing.

Theoretically the polyps that bail out are able to land and regrow, hence the bailout. But I don't know that it's ever been documented in aquaria.
Good enough for me, lol. I mean its not like i have to do anything but leave it alone at this point...

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. But how many tried? Also there has to be a reason it bailed, no? And don't corals start out as just landing on a rock and growing from nothing?
I mean honestly I think a lot of people have kept bailed out polyps In hopes they would grow, but they normally melt away pretty quickly. My biggest torch bailed out all four heads last week and within 96 hours all of the bailed out heads had essentially melted.

I'm just wondering if there's actually any documented cases of euphilia specifically regrowing from an aborted head. (I'm hoping somebody has the answer in that it's yes which tells us it's possible, we just have to figure out how to make it happen)

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know if corals have hormones that they use for things. You probably wouldn't be able to get the hormones if they did. Plus, growing new roots when broken is a common plant thing, but growing a new skeleton isn't a common coral thing. Interesting thought, though.

There's no harm in keeping it around. Just don't expect it to do anything except eventually die. If it has a mouth, maybe try feeding it?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems kinda chicken or egg. Do polyps exist because there is a skeleton, or does skeleton exist because there are polyps?

Back