Torch coral not fully extending

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a golden torch coral about 2 weeks ago, the head is about the size of a quarter but the pylons don’t open more than about a quarter inch ever, I moved I’d down yesterday farther from the power head and it seems to be doing better, but is there anything else that might help? Thanks. Pics below

image.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some information:

Current tank age, lighting, parameters, how good you are at keeping things stable and a video to show flow.

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 6 months and old, ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10 ppm, alk 8.3, phosphate 0, calcium 620ppm, mag 1650. Params have been stable since right around I got the torch.

Attachments

• 70569484925__504D7523-4B0E-49AA-9CF1-AFF95505B0F0.MOV
    758 KB
OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 6 months and old, ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10 ppm, alk 8.3, phosphate 0, calcium 620ppm, mag 1650. Params have been stable since right around I got the torch.
I also have my flow alternating often

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate 0, calcium and magnesium are wayyyy high if reading is accurate. Right off the top these are all issues that should be figured out.

What tests are being used? Gotten a second opinion? Are you sure salinity is correct and not a false reading also?

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate 0, calcium and magnesium are wayyyy high if reading is accurate. Right off the top these are all issues that should be figured out.

What tests are being used? Gotten a second opinion? Are you sure salinity is correct and not a false reading also?
Using sailfert for phos reading and Red Sea for mag and cal, salinity is 1.028 off my Hanna reader

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using sailfert for phos reading and Red Sea for mag and cal, salinity is 1.028 off my Hanna reader
Salinity is high which could contribute. However no salt mix contains calcium or magnesium at those levels. So either dosing is too high, testing is inaccurate, or salinity being high is the cause.

First thing I would do is get a second opinion on all of those results. Preferably from a LFS that doesn't use API.

Once you're sure of the results, you can start to figure out how to get things in an acceptable range.

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is high which could contribute. However no salt mix contains calcium or magnesium at those levels. So either dosing is too high, testing is inaccurate, or salinity being high is the cause.

First thing I would do is get a second opinion on all of those results. Preferably from a LFS that doesn't use API.

Once you're sure of the results, you can start to figure out how to get things in an acceptable range.
I don’t dose cal or mag, only alk which I haven’t done in about a week, could dosing with alk increase my cal and mag? Also I’m going to do a retest now

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t dose cal or mag, only alk which I haven’t done in about a week, could dosing with alk increase my cal and mag? Also I’m going to do a retest now
What product for alk? Unless using a 2 part or kalk the answer would be no.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using ESV B-Ionic calcium buffer syestem part 1 for the alk
So 2 bottles, one for alk and one for calcium right? But, you're only using the alkalinity one?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second opinion on testing is still what I'd recommend. Parameters and salinity just to be safe.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re using 2 part use both in equal measure according to the instructions . I’ve started doing the 2 part dosing a short while ago and I've seen my polyp extension really increase. Also Mag needs to be closer to 1400-1450 max I think . About what mine is and my lps in particular really like it. Moderate light and flow with some randomness . And time. If it’s still withdrawn like that try a different place ment.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your torch doesn't look that bad - and it also might just be adjusting to light. What I would suggest is not move it or bother it again until you figure out and verify your water parameters, as already suggested. If it is already stressed being in a new environment with params out of whack, moving it agin and again will only disturb it more...

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a torch for almost 3 months. Never fully opened, never extened but it did got 2nd mouth and started spliting.

I tried many flow options, ligting settings, position in tank etc. No luck.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a torch for almost 3 months. Never fully opened, never extened but it did got 2nd mouth and started spliting.

I tried many flow options, ligting settings, position in tank etc. No luck.
Maybe the thing missing was stability.

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your torch doesn't look that bad - and it also might just be adjusting to light. What I would suggest is not move it or bother it again until you figure out and verify your water parameters, as already suggested. If it is already stressed being in a new environment with params out of whack, moving it agin and again will only disturb it more...
Ok sounds good, I moved it yesterday and it looks happier, so I’ll keep it there.

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update for everyone, I fed my corals yesterday and in my tiredness, forgot to turn on my flow again, and the torch looked great. I have acropora directly in the flow, so should I move my torch, or turn down flow?

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 101 42.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 48.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back