Torch help

Slatkid96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help, I have about 8 other corals in my tank, I refer 3 corals from a seller 2 torches and one Yuma shroom.
1 of the torches is doing ok and the Yuma is doing ok but one of the torches is not looking so good.
65 gal tank
Everything was acclimated correctly

I got it on Sunday 6/27 and it hasn’t opened fully since I got it. Been in the tank since the. Igor of the 27th.

41925359-0184-4E3D-89BC-E64E274AD9F7.jpeg

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had it shipped to you, it could take a bit to adjust… torches are pretty well known for this, even if one of them looks good. Try moving to a low flow area to allow it to adjust and open fully… also post your tank params just in case

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For starters, If you have leather corals, this may be part of the issue. Many leather coral species produce and release toxic chemicals, called terpenes, into the water to protect themselves and to stunt the growth of other species. One of the biggest problems I have seen beginner hobbyists have is failing to account for the calcium demand for these corals. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. You should also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis
Torch require typical parameters including a temperature around 78 degrees, a specific gravity of about 1.025, ph of about 8.2, and a calcium level of about 400 ppm. Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral. Therefore, it is possible to keep the Torch coral without any feeding at all. However, all corals are animals, and animals are meant to eat.
The best placement for a torch coral is in a location that gets moderate water flow and moderate-intensity lighting. Torches are aggressive corals that protect themselves by wielding their sweeper tentacles maliciously. Sweeper tentacles are specialized tentacles that extend much larger than the typical tentacles and are equipped with stinging cells. Torches will send out these long tendrils to zap anything nearby within reach.

OP
OP
S

Slatkid96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had it shipped to you, it could take a bit to adjust… torches are pretty well known for this, even if one of them looks good. Try moving to a low flow area to allow it to adjust and open fully… also post your tank params just in case
I drove about 35-45 minuets to go pick it up, was not shipped.
Water test I did yesterday
ph:8
Temp is about: 78-80
Salinity is about 1.028
Alk:10
Calcium: 520
I did a water change (about 5 gallon to get the water down to 1.026) spoke to the guy I got it from (he sells corals on the regular so not just some one getting rid of something, he said that is alk and calcium where regularly lower then mine.)

He recommended I do about a 20% water change, with me already doing roughly 5 gallons already I did another 10 gallon change.

I just started dosing fritz rpm 1 and 2 (alk and calcium) but my 65 gallon tank seems to hold levels of those pretty well. I have only ever dosed it 2 times and then doing the water change I just talked about. I’m going to be doing a water test tonight and I’ll post the new levels.

OP
OP
S

Slatkid96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters, If you have leather corals, this may be part of the issue. Many leather coral species produce and release toxic chemicals, called terpenes, into the water to protect themselves and to stunt the growth of other species. One of the biggest problems I have seen beginner hobbyists have is failing to account for the calcium demand for these corals. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. You should also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis
Torch require typical parameters including a temperature around 78 degrees, a specific gravity of about 1.025, ph of about 8.2, and a calcium level of about 400 ppm. Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral. Therefore, it is possible to keep the Torch coral without any feeding at all. However, all corals are animals, and animals are meant to eat.
The best placement for a torch coral is in a location that gets moderate water flow and moderate-intensity lighting. Torches are aggressive corals that protect themselves by wielding their sweeper tentacles maliciously. Sweeper tentacles are specialized tentacles that extend much larger than the typical tentacles and are equipped with stinging cells. Torches will send out these long tendrils to zap anything nearby within reach.
I have 4 torches total and 4 hammers, 3 Yuma’s and the. A buddy of mine gave me a bunch of corals (Zoas, a shroom, a finger leather, Kenyan tree and a couple of others.)

the finger leather has been flopped over and slowly losing color since it’s been in the take Sunday night as well.

2 of the torches and one of the Yuma’s (I got from the same guy) and all of my buddies presents went into the tank at the same time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have 4 torches total and 4 hammers, 3 Yuma’s and the. A buddy of mine gave me a bunch of corals (Zoas, a shroom, a finger leather, Kenyan tree and a couple of others.)

the finger leather has been flopped over and slowly losing color since it’s been in the take Sunday night as well.

2 of the torches and one of the Yuma’s (I got from the same guy) and all of my buddies presents went into the tank at the same time.
the slouched leather may need more flow or higher flow area. Does it appear to have a clear film over the top of it ? You can try to perk it up with a few gentle blasts from a turkey baster. Acclimation of those new frags may be part of the issue

OP
OP
S

Slatkid96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the slouched leather may need more flow or higher flow area. Does it appear to have a clear film over the top of it ? You can try to perk it up with a few gentle blasts from a turkey baster. Acclimation of those new frags may be part of the issue
I acclimated my torches for 2 hours in the tank still in the bag and then drip acclimated then for about 2-3 hours.
My buddy just put his corals into my tank. I didn’t realize until it was to late but I was going to tell him to drop acclimate them for a little bit

Tabbers920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 of the torches and one of the Yuma’s (I got from the same guy) and all of my buddies presents went into the tank at the same tim

Lower your temp to 78 and your salinity to 1.025. Also, changing your SG from 1.028 to 1.026 quickly could have shocked them. And higher temp and higher SG creates less oxygen in the water.

reefingaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice given already and something to consider in this hobby. With the amount of money you will spend “salinity is about 1.028” wont be a recipe for success. With something as important as salinity dont go over 1.026 and also be steady with a constant and not a ballpark figure. How did you measure it??
Good luck

OP
OP
S

Slatkid96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice given already and something to consider in this hobby. With the amount of money you will spend “salinity is about 1.028” wont be a recipe for success. With something as important as salinity dont go over 1.026 and also be steady with a constant and not a ballpark figure. How did you measure it??
Good luck
Sadly I lost 4 torches all bran new to the tank. All of my hammers survived and did fine.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back